[NFBF-L] DBS Media Report - Friday, August 19, 2022

PLipovsky plipovsky at cfl.rr.com
Tue Aug 23 11:50:10 UTC 2022

Forwarding FYI

From: Sila Miller
Sent: Monday, August 22, 2022 8:06 PM

DBS Media Report

Friday, August 19, 2022

Corneas Made from Pig Skin Restore Sight in Humans
<https://news.yahoo.com/corneas-made-pig-skin-restore-194406620.html>

Corneal implants made from pig skin have restored eyesight into 20 people
with damaged or diseased corneas, a new study claims. Corneal impairments
are the fourth leading cause of blindness, according to the WHO. Researchers
hope that the study's findings mean the implants can serve as an alternative
to corneal transplants from humans, which can be hard to come by. Experts
estimate that there are about 12.7 million people who are waiting for
donated corneas, with only one cornea available for every 70 people in need
of a transplant.

What a Legally Blind Person Can See
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X04HKyW-3hc>

In this New York Times Opinion video, the filmmaker James Robinson
introduces us to Yvonne Short, who is legally blind. But unlike the
stereotype of the blind living in a lightless world, Ms. Short, like most
other legally blind people, lives in a nuanced existence between those who
see well and those who can't see a thing.

Watertown Man Teaches Braille, Talks Blindness
<https://www.wwnytv.com/2022/08/17/watertown-man-teaches-braille-talks-blind
ness/>

After losing his sight to retinitis pigmentosa at the age of 37, the first
thing Timothy Monaghan did was attend a school for the blind. Now, at the
age of 64, he's taken on the role of teacher himself by offering braille
lessons and talks on blindness to passers-by at the farmer's market.

"I just come every Wednesday thinking I might be able to be a positive
figure in somebody's life - and I have been," Monaghan told a reporter.

Social Media Star Molly Burke Recalls Going Blind at 14 Due to Retinitis
Pigmentosa
<https://www.today.com/health/health/social-media-star-molly-burke-recalls-g
oing-blind-14-due-retinitis-pig-rcna42901>

When Molly Burke lost her vision at 14, teens bullied her. She had been
speaking publicly at events since she was 5, but the taunting and harassment
stopped her from wanting to continue. "I didn't want to put myself out there
for more ridicule or judgment. I was so angry at the world. I wanted to
hide," Burke told TODAY. "I realized that I can be either angry at society's
ignorance, or I can do something to actively educate society and change
that."

The Infantilization of Elders and People With Disabilities
<https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/speaking-in-tongues/202208/the-infa
ntilization-elders-and-people-disabilities>

Talking down to older people or people with disabilities is a form of
infantilization, when an adult is treated like a child. This kind of
language is often offensive to those on the receiving end because it is
interpreted as patronizing and condescending. Rather than using offensive
infantilizing language it is preferable to establish boundaries and ask how
a person wants to be addressed, especially for older people and people with
disabilities who may have a loss of control over their lives and are offered
few choices.

DOJ to Publish Website Accessibility Regulations
<https://www.natlawreview.com/article/department-justice-announces-it-intend
s-to-publish-regulations-related-to-website>

The Department of Justice (DOJ) announced it will begin the rulemaking
process related to "Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Disability:
Accessibility of Web Information and Services of State and Local
Governments." The DOJ's announcement states that the Americans with
Disabilities Act (ADA) mandates that "no qualified individual with a
disability shall, by reason of such disability, be excluded from
participation in or be denied the benefits of services, programs, or
activities of a public entity, or be subjected to discrimination by any such
entity." The DOJ "intends to publish a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM)
to amend its Title II ADA regulation to provide technical standards to
assist public entities in complying with their existing obligations to make
their websites accessible to individuals with disabilities." While Title II
of the ADA only applies to "public entities," private entities may want to
pay attention to these developments.

Do you have news from your District, an employee you'd like to spotlight,
blind services information, events to share, or a favorite recipe you'd like
to feature in the DBS Visionary newsletter or in this weekly media report?
Please share it with us by emailing communications at dbs.fldoe.org
<mailto:communications at dbs.fldoe.org> !