[NFBF-L] FW: Today is "Nancy Burgess Hall Day" in Volusia County (September 6, 2022)

Sherri Brun flmom2006 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 16:04:06 UTC 2022

Passing this along.  What an honor.

Sherri

From: Acevedo, Kathy <Kathy.Acevedo at dbs.fldoe.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 6, 2022 5:03 PM
Today is "Nancy Burgess Hall Day" in Volusia County (September 6, 2022)

Hello everyone,

I thought this news about Nancy might be of interest. I am sure that many volunteers will recall her from our gatherings.

Today the Library was invited to attend a meeting of the Volusia County Council in Deland, the county seat. Heather Frost, Councilwoman for District 4, nominated our long-time Library volunteer Nancy Burgess-Hall, for a special act of recognition honoring her lifetime of community service in spite of a debilitating and painful condition, rheumatoid arthritis, which kept her in a wheelchair. Pasted (below) is a photo of the plaque received by her husband, Doug Hall (DBS & Library retiree, also a long-time Library volunteer and community activist). (Attached is a transcription of the plaque in accessible Word format.) Representatives were present from the Rehab Center and several of Nancy’s advocacy groups were also in attendance.

Nancy’s numerous community activities and advocacy accomplishments are mentioned on the plaque, which is legible. Regarding the Library, she was a patron herself, since she was not able to hold or manipulate printed matter. She became a volunteer in September, 1999, helping with clerical tasks until August of 2007, when she joined the Board of Directors of the Friends of Library Access, Inc. and remained active until her death in April of this year. That comes to over 22 years of steadfast support for the Library and its volunteers. She and Doug never missed a Library event or party!

Volusia County Council Chambers, with some council members barely visible in the background.

Overhead screen reads:

“Proclamation to be presented inside county council chambers

*	Nancy Burgess-Hall day – September 6, 2022”

Heather Frost, Councilwoman for District 4, presents plaque to Doug Hall, Nancy’s husband.

Doug’s service dog Mr. Watson supervises. Unknown photographer snaps the scene.

Again, Heather Frost and Doug, backs to the camera, with rehab Center’s Cassandra Jessie and Doug’s driver Farouk Ahmad, seated.

Overhead screen shows the camera view from the front (as seen by the Council members – who appear in the background).

Plaque of recognition presented by the County Council, Volusia, Florida, and signed by its six members.

As you can see, I am so very pleased by this honor to our friend, who so richly deserved it.

Thanks,

Kathy

Thank you,

Alice M. Radford

Administrative Assistant 1

Office: 386-239-6090

Fax: 386-239-6069

Florida Division of Blind Services
Bureau of Braille and Talking Books Library
421 Platt Street
Daytona Beach, FL 32114-2803