[NFBF-L] Washington Seminarand Your Florida Delegation

russell at radiorusty.com russell at radiorusty.com
Mon Jan 30 16:43:39 UTC 2023

Good morning Florida Federation Family,

I wanted to take a few moments to bring you all up to date on what's been
happening with 2023 Washington Seminar, the legislative process and the
hhard work of your Sunshhine State team.

You might have been wondering what's been happening over the past couple of
months, but let me assure you that a small group of extremely dedicated,
intelligent and highly motivated NFB Florida members, (from all over the
peninsula), have been studying the Federations 2023 legislative priorities,
rehearsing presentations, setting appointments, organizing their travel
plans and packing warm clothes in anticipation of the annual in person
event. More than a dozen Floridians are currently in Washington DC for  the
gathering, which begins today, Monday, January 30th.

We've announced your team members previously but because I am so very proud
to work with these incredible advocates I have no problem singing their
praises again.

Many Thanks to:

Camille Tate, (co-legislative chair), Melbourne Spacee Coast Chapter

Doug Ingram, Tallahassee Chapter

Denise Valkema, Greater Jacksonville Chapter

Adriann Keve, Greater Jacksonville Chapter

Peggy Fleischer, Greater Daytona Beach Chapter

Sherri Brun, Central Florida Chapter

Tashara Cooper, Central Florida Chapter

Karolyn Campbell, Central Florida Chapter

James Yessel, Miami

Z'leah Liburd, Tampa Bay Chapter and FABS

Christine Copley, Tampa Bay Chapter and FABS

Sewar Quneibi, Tampa Bay Chapter and FABS

Russ Davis, (co- Legislativee Director), Greater Jacksonville Chapter

With this talented group of Washington Seminar delegates staffing four
regional teams, we are aiming to hold 30 appointments with our Federally
elected officials over the next couple of days. We've almost reached 100% of
our initial goal of securing appointments with our 28 House member and 2 US
Senators, (even over the next couple of days we will keep working to lock
down those last couple of elusive meetings). Today training sessions will
take place at the  hotel and then at 5:00 PM we will attend The Great
Gathering In! You can join us by following the links provided in an email
Denise or I will forward in just a moment.

The work is not over once Washington Seminar concludes later this week,
rather, the work will have just begun. We will need all in our Affiliate to
join us as we press for support of our three legislative priorities. Most
likely, we will begin a second round of meetings in early Spring. Florida
has made a reputation for inself of being one of the most successful,
hardworking and active Affiliates in the entire NFB and we can all be proud
of this accomplishment. Let's keep the excitement and the activity level
high as we move through 2023!

So you get another reminder of the issues we will be presenting in 2023,
I'll list them again below:

The Medical Device Non Visual Accessibility Act.

The Blind Americans Return to Work Act, (The SSDI Income Cliff bill).

The Websites and Soft Applications Accessibility Act.

Once back in Florida we will hold a Legislative Committee call for all on
Zoom on Thursday, February 23rd at 8:00 PM. Please watch for an announcement
about this event and please make plans to join us.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this email and for supporting
your 2023 National Federation of the Blind of Florida Washington Seminar
Delegation.

Respectfully,

Russ Davis, Legislative Director

Ph. 904-993-8433