[NFBF-Melbourne] information for possible snow birds

ctate2076 at att.net ctate2076 at att.net
Sun Mar 17 14:34:22 UTC 2019

Good Morning:

Melbourne is a wonderful city to enjoy! Even though it is growing by leaps and bounds, it still retains some of that small town feel. To find out more about housing, you may want to check out the City of Melbourne website or the Brevard County website. I am not familiar with all parts of Melbourne to give a satisfactory answer.

There are many places to shop here as well. We have a variety of grocery stores and The Melbourne Square Mall. Most of those stores are reachable via a fixed route bus and therefore, paratransit.

Transportation is an on-going project for our chapter. On the whole, it is a good system, but there is always room for improvement. We work at it diligently to ensure blind and other disabled people are able to be part of the county. We have two types of paratransit service, which I will mention briefly.

Transportation Disadvantaged is a basic service for the low income, elderly and disabled. It has limited hours of service and requires up to seven days’ notice for reservations, which does not include weekends or holidays.

ADA paratransit is a separate service that requires a minimum 24 hours reservation notice, not including weekends or holidays. It has longer hours of operation, although evenings are nearly impossible to obtain trips.

Both services require an application and you must be a Transportation Disadvantaged client to receive any service. ADA paratransit has a separate application. The entire process can take up to 21 days to be approved.

If any members on this list have additional information or would like to comment, please feel free to do so.

We also hope you will come to one of our meetings if you decide to be snowbirds in Melbourne. We meet on the second Saturday of each month. You may contact me using the information below in my signature. I would be happy to speak with you in further detail.

President, Melbourne Space Coast Chapter, National Federation of the Blind, FL

Board of Directors, National Federation of the Blind, FL

Email: ctate2076 at att.net <mailto:ctate2076 at att.net>