[NFBF-Melbourne] FW: [NFBF-Leaders] 2019 State Convention Agenda

ctate2076 at att.net ctate2076 at att.net
Fri May 10 16:55:58 UTC 2019

-----Original Message-----
From: NFBF-Leaders <nfbf-leaders-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Miranda Kilby via NFBF-Leaders
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2019 11:56 AM
To: nfbf-l at nfbnet.org
Cc: Miranda Kilby <mbkilby at gmail.com>; nfbf-leaders at nfbnet.org
Subject: [NFBF-Leaders] 2019 State Convention Agenda

Greetings All,
We are so excited that there is only 2 more weeks until we are all together. Please find attached and pasted below for convenience our
2019 state convention.

2019 STATE CONVENTION

Friday through Monday, May 24 - 27, 2019

Embassy Suites by Hilton

661 NW 53rd St
Boca Raton, FL  33487
Phone: (561) 994-8200

NFB PLEDGE

I pledge to participate actively
In the efforts of the National Federation of the Blind To achieve Equality, Opportunity, And Security for the blind; To support the policies and programs of the Federation; And to abide by its constitution.

Important Convention Information

You must be registered for the Convention to WIN door prizes and to qualify for the hotel’s special convention rates!

Door prizes will be awarded at general sessions and at the banquet.
You must be PRESENT in the session or on approved National Federation of the Blind of Florida business to receive a door prize.

Please turn in auction baskets and door prizes at the NFB of Florida Registration Desk in the lobby Friday, May 24th from 4:30 – 6:00 pm.

Exhibit Hall – Aruba Room

Rafael Fernandez, Coordinator
Hours of operation:
Friday, May 24th: 5:00 to 10:00 pm
Saturday, May 25th: 12 Noon to 6:00 pm
Sunday, May 26th: 12:00 Noon to 5:00 pm

Please Note: This agenda is subject to change at any time without notice.

Aira

Aira is proud to be a part of the NFB family. We are grateful to President Riccobono and all of you for being vital stakeholders in the creation of the Aira service, enhancing access to information. Always on your terms. Whenever you need it. And however, you want it. As part of our partnership, we are glad to offer Aira Access for the annual Florida Convention.

What is Aira Access? It is the ability for anyone to download the Aira app and use Aira for free, finding a hotel room, a conference room, reading a hotel menu, describing exhibit hall tables, or calling an Uber or Lyft to get to the airport.

To download the Aira app go here: www.aira.io/app you will see a banner at the top of the app that says, “Tap to use Aira as a Guest for Free.”
Want to learn more before you are onsite?
Aira’s Website
NFB & Aira
Aira Access

Schedule of Convention Events
Friday, May 24th

4:00 pm to 6:30 pm	NFB of Florida Convention Registration
	Merry Schoch, Treasurer, NFB of Florida
	Lobby

5:00 pm to 10:00 pm 	Exhibit Hall
	Aruba Room

5:00 pm to 8:00 pm 		Meet and Greet
	Bermuda Room

7:00 pm to 7:50 pm 		NFB of Florida Resolutions Committee
	Camille Tate, Chair, NFB of Florida Resolutions Committee
	Caribbean Ballroom

8:00 pm to 9:00 pm 		NFB of Florida Board Meeting
	Denise Valkema, President, NFB of Florida
	Caribbean Ballroom
Join us for our open board meeting and meet our NFB of Florida 2019 Scholarship Winners!

9:00 pm to 10:00 pm 	NFB Trivia & Treats
	Tekesha Saffold, President
	Palm Beach Chapter
	Bermuda Room
Everyone is invited to attend and enjoy an evening full of fun, diverse & challenging questions, and of course lots of treats! Come share and learn interesting facts about the NFB!
Saturday, May 25th

7:00 am				Presidents and Vice Presidents Meeting
	Denise Valkema, President, NFB of Florida
	Bermuda Room

8:15 am - 9:15 am 		NFB of Florida Convention Registration
	Merry Schoch, Treasurer, NFB of Florida
	Lobby

8:45 am - 9:15 am		Devotional by Communities of Faith
					Group, Marilyn Baldwin, Chair
	St. Croix Room

General Session
9:30 am to 12:00 Noon
Caribbean Ballroom

9:30 am 				Call to Order
	Denise Valkema, President, NFB of Florida

9:35 am 				Invocation
	Pastor Charles Ricks
Calvary Community Church
West Palm Beach, Florida

9:40 am 				NFB Pledge and the Pledge of Allegiance
	John Crossley, Treasurer, Palm Beach Chapter

9:45 am 				Greeting from the Host Chapter
	Tekesha Saffold, President
	Palm Beach Chapter

9:50 am 				Official Greeting
	Todd J. Bonlarron,
	Palm Beach Assistant County Administrator

10:00 am				Roll Call of Chapters & Pledges
	NFB of Florida Chapter Presidents or Delegates

10:20 am 				President's Report
	Denise Valkema, President, NFB of Florida

10:30 am 				Report from our National Movement
	Ron Brown, Board of Directors, National Federation of the Blind, President, NFB of Indiana

10:55 am 				Community Outreach, Sarah Smedley,
					Palm Beach Talking Books Manager

11:05 am 				Know Our Services
	Carlos Montas
	Disability Rights Florida

11:20 am 				Cane Traveler Solutions
	Jodi Jainchill, Physical Therapist

11:30 am 				Goddess Johnson, Vice President of the 					Community
Service Division
	National Federation of the Blind

11:35 am				Spotlight on Adaptive Technology
	Exhibitor’s Showcase 2019!

11:55 am				Announcements & Adjournment

12:00 noon - 1:00 pm		Lunch Break – On your own

12:00 noon - 12:50 pm	NFB of Florida Convention Registration
	Merry Schoch, Treasurer, NFB of Florida
	Lobby

12:00 noon - 6:00 pm		Exhibit Hall
	Aruba Room

12:15 pm - 4:30 pm		Hospitality Room 724

12:15 pm - 1:45 pm		Women’s Luncheon
	Bermuda Room
Please join the Diversity and Inclusion Committee for our first Women’s Luncheon, Women of The Movement. This will be a time to honor and celebrate the women of our affiliate. There will be guest speakers, including our National Representative Mr. Ron Brown along with special awards and other surprises.

Saturday General Interest Seminars
1:00 pm to 5:00 pm

1:00 pm - 1:45 pm		Financial Seminar
	Ken Nemery, Wells Fargo Advisor
	St. Croix Room
Developing a Personal Financial Plan for Today and Tomorrow.
Including when to retire and avoiding 9 big mistakes when saving for retirement.

2:00 pm - 2:45 pm		Financial Seminar, Part 2
	Ken Nemery, Wells Fargo Advisor
	Saint Croix Room
Estate Planning Basics for Everyone Regardless of Age or Wealth

2:00 pm - 3:50 pm		NFB of Florida Deaf-Blind Division 							Meeting
	Caribbean Ballroom
	Business meeting

2:00 pm - 2:45 pm		NVDA Technology Seminar
                                             Jorge Hernandez, NFB of Florida Board of Directors & Ryan Mann, Daytona Beach Chapter
	Bermuda Room
Come and learn how NVDA “Non-Visual Desktop Access” can be your screen reader of choice.  We will discuss how to download the application, and the various options of installation methods such as a portable application, to a complete installation on your computer and keyboard commands.

3:00 pm - 3:45 pm		Florida Newsline®
					Russ Davis, Newsline® Chair
					Jorge Hernandez, NFB of Florida Board 						of Directors
					Bermuda Room
There are so many new ways to connect with NFB Newsline.  Join us as we share the newest ways of connecting with the Amazon Alexa smart speaker and the NFB Connect app.  Not yet a subscriber, or have questions about your login, Russ can help with that too.

3:00 pm - 5:00 pm		FLAGDU Seminar and Business Meeting
					Merry Schoch, President
					St. Croix Room
Attention People and Your Pups! Come and receive professional advice and techniques to ease those aching bones and stressful days!
Physical therapist and guide dog user Jody Jainchill will share strategies to help you prevent physical stressors caused by using a guide dog.  Certified canine massage therapist Magda Vazquez will guide us in hands-on techniques to strengthen the bond with our dogs.

4:00 pm - 5:00 pm		Blind Parents’ Group
					Nicole Finchan-Shehan, Chair
					Bermuda Room
We will have an open discussion to share ideas on being a resource and support network, NFB philosophy, custody or legal challenges and educate the public about the normalcy and challenges of being a blind parent/caretaker.

4:00 pm - 5:00 pm		Self Defense - Martial Arts Nation
	Ricardo Liborio, Owner
	St. Thomas Room

5:00 pm - 7:00 pm		Dinner - On your own

7:00 pm - 10:00 pm 		Party in Paradise and Auction
	Tekesha Saffold, Host, President of Palm Beach Chapter
	Caribbean Ballroom
Come and interact with your federation family and hear great talent.
In addition, participate in our auction, and win one of our amazing baskets, with Paul Martinez and Sylvia Young as auctioneers. There will be a cash bar at this event.

Sunday, May 26th

7:00 am				Nominating Committee
	Delegates only
	Paul Martinez, Nominating Committee Chair
	Bermuda Room

8:25 am - 8:50 am 		Registration (Final Opportunity!)
	Merry Schoch, Treasurer, NFB of Florida
					Lobby

8:45 am - 9:15 am		Devotional by Communities of Faith 						Group,
Marilyn Baldwin, Chair
					St. Croix Room

General Business Session
9:30 am to 12:00 am
Caribbean Ballrooms

9:30 am 				Call to Order 	Denise Valkema, 							President, NFB of
										Florida

9:35 am 				Invocation
	Elder Manes Pacius
	Beer-Sheba Seventh Day Adventist Church, Deerfield Beach, Florida

9:40 am 				NFB Pledge
	Patricia Moore, Palm Beach Chapter

9:45 am 				Legislation Update
	Merry Schoch and Camille Tate, Co-Chairs, NFB of Florida Legislation Committee

9:55 am				Turning Dreams into Reality
	Jorge Hernandez, NFB of Florida Board of Directors, President, Miami Dade Chapter

10:00 am 				"Bell Ringers"
	Bella Liborio
	2018 Orlando BELL participant

10:05 am				2019 BELL Academy
	Placing Hands on the Future
	Miranda Kilby, Second Vice President, NFB of Florida

10:15 am				Resolutions Committee Report
	Camille Tate, Committee Chair

10:25 am 				Division of Blind Services Report
	Robert Doyle, Director, Florida Division of Blind Services

10:40 am				The Rehabilitation Center for the Blind 						and Visually Impaired
	Jeff Whitehead, Program Manager
	Florida Department of Education
	Division of Blind Services

10:50 am				NFB of Florida Fundraising Report
	Paul Martinez, Fundraising Chair

11:00 am 				Nominating Committee Report
					Paul Martinez, Committee, First Vice 					President, NFB of Florida

11:05 am 				Elections
					Denise Valkema, President, NFB of 						Florida

11:55 am 				Announcements & Adjournment

12:00 noon - 1:00 pm	Lunch Break – On your own

12:00 noon - 12:50 pm	Chapter and Division Treasurers
	Working Lunch
	Merry Schoch, Treasurer, NFB of Florida
	Room 726

12:00 noon - 12:50pm	Chapter and Division Secretaries
					Working lunch
					Sylvia Young, Secretary, NFB of Florida
	Room 715

12:00 noon - 5:00 pm		Exhibit Hall, Final Opportunity!
					Aruba Room

Sunday General Interest Seminars
1:00 pm to 5:00 pm

1:00 pm - 1:45 pm		Book Club
	Camille Tate, Chair, NFB of Florida Board of Directors
	Caribbean Ballroom
Join our lively discussion on our NFB history and philosophy with fellow Federationists. We will discuss “Blindness: The Other Half of Inertia”, a banquet address given by Dr. Kenneth Jernigan in Kansas City, 1983. Time is limited, so review the speech by viewing or listening to Dr. Jernigan at nfb.org/banquet-speeches.

1:00 pm - 2:45 pm		NFB of Florida Seniors Group
	Gloria Mills-Hicks, Chair
	St Croix Room
Topics will include, Safety in your Home. We will have a guest speaker from the Palm Beach County Fire Rescue Department. Learn how to prevent fires, and what to do if you have one. Persons of all ages are welcome to attend, share, and learn.

1:00 pm - 2:45 pm		NFB of Florida Parents of Blind Children
	Cherice Togun, President, FPOBC
                                             Bermuda Room To Braille or not to Braille & other tools for implementation.  Join us for a live demonstration of Braille instruction taught remotely and discussion regarding implementation of this tool for students and individuals.  Special guest, Casey Robertson, Adjunct Instructor at Louisiana Tech University in the Professional Development and Research Institute on Blindness, will show us how accessible Braille is!  A HumanWare representative will help us explore appropriate tools and access technology.

2:00 pm – 2:45 pm		iOS and The Smart Home - Technology
	Rafael Fernandez & Jorge Hernandez, NFB of Florida Board of Directors
	Caribbean Ballroom
Come and join us as we showcase some of the technology to make your lives a little easier as we show off smart speakers and tips and tricks using your iOS devices.

3:00 pm - 3:45 pm		Diabetes Group
					Lauren Blum, Chair, NFB of Florida 						Board of Directors
					Bermuda Room
Calling all Federationists!! The Diabetic Awareness group will be presenting a quick overview of portion control. We will also be discussing how to make recipes more diabetic friendly. We are open to everyone, so join us for a fun filled hour.

3:00 pm to 3:45 pm		NFB of Florida Legislation Committee
	Merry Schoch and Camille Tate, Co-Chairs, NFB of Florida Board of Directors
	St Croix Room
The Legislative Committee of the National Federation of the Blind of Florida invites you to our informative session! Come and hear about what the Committee has accomplished and what we are planning for the rest of the year.

4:00 pm - 5:00 pm 		NFB of Florida Diversity and Inclusion 						Group
	Marilyn Baldwin, Group Chair
	St Croix Room
“Knowing Transportation Disadvantaged and ADA Before You Ride.”  We will have a panel discussion of our paratransit program in Florida.
The panelists will discuss the Transportation Disadvantaged Local Coordinating Boards, ADA paratransit updates and safety standards. The panelists are:  Gloria Mills-Hicks, John Williams, Nicole Fincham Shehan, and Tanya Dawson.  Come and bring your experiences, questions and ideas to share with us.

4:00 pm - 5:00 pm		Flamenco Dancing
					Yvonne Rosanelli
					St. Thomas Room
Flamenco with a flair!  Learn about the basic tempos of flamenco.
Attendees will learn to use their canes to create the martinete rhythm for the flamenco dancer and learn to use castanets, a manton (shawl) and the abanico (fan).

Convention Banquet
Sunday, May 26, 2019
7:00 pm to 10:00 pm
Caribbean Ballroom

7:00 pm 				Call to Order and Remarks
	Denise Valkema, President, NFB of Florida

7:05 pm 				Welcome and Introductions
	Jorge Hernandez and Camille Tate, Masters of Ceremonies

7:10 pm				Invocation
	James E. Young, Tallahassee Chapter Board of Directors

 7:15 pm				Introduction of Head Tables
	Tekesha Saffold, Convention Host Chair President, Palm Beach Chapter

7:30 pm				“Transforming Dreams into Reality”
	Scott Wilson, Statewide Chapter

7:40 pm				Keynote Address
	Ron Brown, Board of Directors, National Federation of the Blind, President, NFB of Indiana

8:30 pm 				Presentation of 2019 Scholarship Winners
	Merry Schoch, Chair, NFB of Florida 2019 Scholarship Committee Chair

8:50 pm 				Special Recognition Awards
	Sylvia Young, Committee Chair

9:30 pm 				Announcements & Adjournment

Monday, May 27th

General Session
9:00 am to 11:00 am
Caribbean Ballrooms

9:00 am 				Call to Order
	Denise Valkema, President, NFB of Florida

9:05 am 				Invocation
	Rev Joan LeRoy, Pastor
First Presbyterian Church
Lake Worth, Florida

9:10 am 				NFB Pledge
	Tasha Lee, Palm Beach Chapter

9:15 am 				Memorial Day Observance TBA

9:20 am 				Treasurer’s Report
	Merry Schoch, Treasurer, NFB of Florida

9:30 am				Guide Dog Uber Project Report
	Merry Schoch, President, FLAGDU

9:35 am 				Deaf-Blind Division Report
	Alicia Betancourt, President

9:40 am				Florida Parents of Blind Children 							Division Report

9:45 am 				NFB of Florida Communications 							Committee Update
	Miranda Kilby, Committee Chair

9:50 am				NFB of Florida Diversity & Inclusion 						Committee
report, Marilyn Baldwin, 						Committee Chair

9:55 am 				NFB-Newsline® Report
	Russ Davis, Newsline® Chair

10:00 am 				KNFB Reader Update
	Jorge Hernandez, NFB of Florida Board of Directors

10:05 am				NFB of Florida PAC Plan Report
	Jorge Hernandez, Committee Chair

10:10 am 				2020 History Project
	Dan Hicks, Treasurer, Tampa Bay Chapter

10:20 am				Final Remarks
	Ron Brown, Board of Directors, National Federation of the Blind, President, NFB of Indiana

10:25 am 				Announcements & Adjournment

Convention Sponsors

Title Sponsors

Non-24

Opportunity Sponsors

Aira
Envision America
Florida Ocular Prosthetics
Florida Outreach Center
Florida Vision Technology
GuideLights and Gadgets, Inc.
JW
Magnifying Aids
OrCam Technologies
Southeastern Guide Dogs
Vispero

Vanda Pharmaceuticals

Vanda pharmaceuticals is dedicated to raising the awareness of Non-24-Hour Sleep-Wake Disorder (Non-24) and supporting the blindness community.
Non-24 is a rare circadian rhythm disorder affecting up to 30% of totally blind individuals. People living with Non-24 experience excessive daytime sleepiness, nighttime sleeplessness which leads to impaired social and occupational function due to misalignment of the internal master body clock to the 24-hour day, disrupting the sleep-wake cycle.
Come visit us at our booth to learn more about Non-24 and sign up for additional information

Non-24
A circadian rhythm disorder

Visit us online at www.non-24.com

Call a health educator toll free at 1-855-856-2424, 24 hours a day

National Federation of the Blind of Florida Officers and Board of Directors Denise Valkema, President Paul Martinez, First Vice President Miranda Kilby, Second Vice President Sylvia Young, Secretary Merry Schoch, Treasurer Board of Directors:
Lauren Blum
Jorge Hernandez
Camille Tate
Rafael Fernandez

The National Federation of the Blind of Florida thanks the Palm Beach Chapter, the 2019 Convention Planning Committee, and everyone else for their dedication and hard work organizing the 2019 state convention.
On behalf of the National Federation of the blind of Florida, we thank you for joining us at our 2019 state convention.  We would like to acknowledge all our sponsors for their generous donations which made the 2019 state convention a great success, as well as everyone who contributed to the development process. The NFB OF FLORIDA also extends our appreciation to President Mark Riccobono and the Jernigan Institute for all their support throughout the year.  We look forward to continuing to work with all of you in 2019.
Let’s Go build the Federation!
Sincerely,
Denise Valkema, President

Chapters, Divisions, Committees, and Groups

Presidents:
State Affiliate - Denise Valkema, (305) 972-8529, president at nfbflorida.org
Chapters:
Greater Broward - Jake McEntyre, (954) 946-4148, jmac1920 at yahoo.com Central Florida - Toni Moore, (850) 321-6421, claviet at gmail.com Greater Daytona Beach - Brian Norton, (386) 871-3359, brian.edward.norton at outlook.com Gainesville - Judy Hamilton, (352) 373-7806, jrhamilton51 at earthlink.net Greater Jacksonville - Marita Winston, (904) 580-6819, marita.winston60 at gmail.com Melbourne-Space Coast - Camille Tate, (321) 372-4899, Ctate2076 at att.net Greater Miami-Dade - Jorge Hernandez, (305) 877-2311, jdh6 at bellsouth.net Palm Beach - Tekesha Saffold, (561) 707-4799, tnsaffold82 at gmail.com Polk - Joe King, (863) 293-5648, joenkitty at earthlink.net State-Wide - Paul Martinez, (813) 390-5720, paul09ms at gmail.com Tallahassee - Jada Christie, (850) 766-9378, emeraldpink15 at gmail.com Tampa Bay - Miranda Kilby, (352) 942-0417, mbkilby at gmail.com Treasure Coast - Tamika Butts, (772) 708-3749, tamika_butts at aol.com

Divisions:
Deaf Blind - Alicia Betancourt, (386) 589-7324, licib85 at gmail.com Florida Guide Dog Users - Merry Schoch, (813) 625-1850, merrys at verizon.net Parents of Blind Children - Cherice Togun, (407) 257-7637, hchericeflemingtogun at hotmail.com

Committees/ Groups:
Bell Academy - Miranda Kilby, (352) 942-0417, mbkilby at gmail.com Blind Parents of Children - Nicole Fincham-Shehan, (410) 493-4461, nicoledfincham at yahoo.com Book Club - Camille Tate, (321) 372-4899, Ctate2076 at att.net Communities of Faith - Marilyn Baldwin, (407) 293-0565, commMDB at aol.com Community Service - Tekesha Saffold, (561) 707-4799, tnsaffold82 at gmail.com Diabetic Awareness - Lauren Blum, (352) 584-0795, laurenblum79 at gmail.com Diversity and Inclusion - Marilyn Baldwin, (407) 293-0565, commMDB at aol.com Legislation - Merry Schoch, (813) 523-6573, merrys at verizon.net Camille Tate, (321) 372-4899, Ctate2076 at att.net Newsline® - Russ Davis, (844) 827-7371, newslinesupport at nfbflorida.org Senior Concerns – Gloria Mills Hicks, (813) 340-9750, Glorianfb at irescuetax.com Students - Rafael Fernandez, (305) 903-6299, rafael.fernandez0617 at gmail.com

Hotel Layout

•	When entering lobby area, there is bilateral sitting area to
immediate right and left.
•	Check in desk 45-degree angle to the right with convenient store to
the immediate right of desk
•	50-60-degree angle to the left are the conference rooms & restrooms;
where the tile meets the carpet.
•	Continue down the hall in order
•	Left side: St. Thomas B, Martinique, Cancun, Barbados, Aruba
ballrooms, if you travel passed the carpet you have gone too far
•	Right side: Restrooms are wheelchair accessible (men on left women on right)
•	All other rooms are associates only but there are multiple sitting
areas along the right-hand side
•	Enter atrium straight ahead from main entrance
•	Again, look for the carpet
•	Enter atrium, immediate left is business center with 3 computers.
Middle computer is wheelchair accessible (tile floor)
•	Upon entering Atrium from lobby, next on the left (tile floor) is
the snacks & bar area (happy hour is served). Further down, past the bar is the breakfast buffet area.
•	Sitting area of single chairs on the right upon entering Atrium from lobby
•	Atrium: straight ahead on carpet area are multiple table & chairs.
Some tables are reserved for the in-house restaurant.
•	To access elevators (3): enter Atrium from lobby walk past seating
chairs right (approximately 50ft) make a left. Elevator straight ahead but you make a slight veer to right. Elevator on left.
•	Lobby, Atrium, straight ahead (approximately 75ft) slight veer to
right, once you reach the tile pool is straight ahead outside thru 2 sets of double doors. Pool 25ft veer left for entrance. Pool towels available at front desk.
•	Pool from elevator: exit elevator turn right walk approximately
100ft & turn left, veer slight right, tile floor, exit thru 2 sets double doors pool ahead 25ft enter on left hand side with room key
•	Fitness Center:  same as pool but make a left on tile floor. Exit
doors. Stay on covered path (approximately 20ft) enter double doors to fitness center. Key card entry to left of doors.
•	Breakout rooms: exit elevator turn left.
•	The 1st room on right is Palm Theater (we are not using) but sitting
area across on left.
•	Just past Palm Theater, small restrooms. Must go up 2 stairs or use
ramp on opposite side of stairs. Ramp & stairs are wooden surface.
Women's immediate on right and Men's room further down the hall right side.
•	Hall loops around in a semi-circle. Next exit past restrooms is the
dog relief area. Make a right onto tile floor & keep straight. Exit through 2 sets of double doors.
•	After dog relief area, Bermuda room on right, followed by kitchen
(associates only), last is St. Croix room. There is another room but it's storage.

--
Miranda B. Kilby, Second Vice President National Federation of the Blind of Florida

President
Tampa Bay Chapter, National Federation of the Blind of Florida
Ph: (352)942-0417
The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind.
Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.