[NFBF-Melbourne] FW: [NFBF-Leaders] Blindness Experience Teaching Internship | National Federation of the Blind

ctate2076 at att.net ctate2076 at att.net
Sat May 11 22:52:04 UTC 2019

From: NFBF-Leaders <nfbf-leaders-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of DENISE VALKEMA via NFBF-Leaders
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2019 6:59 PM
To: NFBF <nfbf-leaders at nfbnet.org>; NFBF <nfbf-l at nfbnet.org>
Cc: DENISE VALKEMA <valkemadenise at aol.com>
Subject: [NFBF-Leaders] Blindness Experience Teaching Internship | National Federation of the Blind

Blindness Experience Teaching Internship

The blindness experience teaching internship is designed for professionals who are either currently working with blind individuals or who are preparing to work in the blindness field.

The internship is offered by the National Federation of the Blind, along with its  <https://www.nfb.org/about-us/training-centers> three comprehensive residential training centers.

*	Work directly with and learn from leaders within the field of blindness
*	Gain hands-on experience in instruction, curriculum, challenge recreation as a teaching tool, program development, and administration
*	Participate in a training that uses the structured discovery teaching method
*	Learn about the effectiveness of consumer-based training administered by the NFB

We believe that it is vital for professionals working in the blindness field to have full belief in blind individuals. We also want professionals to possess excellent blindness skills that they can demonstrate to blind and low-vision students and trainees.

Our training centers offer unparalleled skills training to enable blind and low-vision people of all ages to optimize their independence to live the lives they want. This nine-month internship program will provide you with the hands-on training, philosophy, positive attitude, and experience necessary to put you on the cutting edge of work with blind and low-vision individuals.

Program Details

The program will run from September 2019 through August 2020.

*	Successful applicants are assigned to an  <https://www.nfb.org/about-us/training-centers> NFB training center
*	Lodging, travel, and a stipend for food and incidentals are provided
*	Interns attend our  <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar> Washington Seminar and NFB state conventions
*	Interns participate in professional development and experiential activities at the  <https://www.nfb.org/about-us/national-headquarters> Jernigan Institute in Baltimore, Maryland

Initially, interns receive three months of intensive blindness training under sleepshades at one of our centers. Sleepshade training is a foundational experience for professionals in the blindness field. It will show you the dynamic nonvisual skills used by the blind, convince you of the efficacy of those tools, and ultimately convince you of the capacity of the blind to be successful.

Interns also take core classes at our centers including Braille, technology, home management, and cane travel. You will also participate in all challenge recreation activities and other extracurricular activities. Following this training, you will have opportunities to work with and provide instruction to blind and low-vision students of all ages.

Application

Apply online no later than May 31, 2019.

*	 <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/blindness-experience-teaching-internship/blindness> Blindness Experience Teaching Internship Application

Qualifications and Standards

*	Bachelor’s degree or higher, with preference given to those with advanced degrees
*	Degree in the field of education, special education, or rehabilitation preferred
*	Openness to the NFB’s belief in the abilities of blind people to live the lives they want
*	Experience in working with blind and low-vision students preferred
*	Ability to or willingness to learn, role-model, and teach using nonvisual techniques

More Information

For more information about the blindness experience teaching internship program, please contact us at  <mailto:teachinternship at nfb.org> teachinternship at nfb.org.

 <https://www.nfb.org/>

*          <https://www.nfb.org/donate> Donate

*          <https://www.nfb.org/get-involved/join-us> Join Us

National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, Maryland 21230

Phone  <tel:+14106599314> 410-659-9314
Email  <mailto:nfb at nfb.org> nfb at nfb.org

https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/blindness-experience-teaching-internship

Denise Valkema, President  National Federation of the Blind of Florida

(305)972-8529

president at nfbflorida.org <mailto:president at nfbflorida.org>

www.nfbflorida.org <http://www.nfbflorida.org>

Follow us @nfbflorida