[NFBF-Melbourne] FW: [Chapter-Presidents] 2020 Virtual Senior Retreat - 6 days left to register - Here is Information, Registration, and Agenda

ctate2076 at att.net ctate2076 at att.net
Thu Sep 24 20:27:25 UTC 2020

From: Chapter-Presidents <chapter-presidents-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf
Of Robert Leslie Newman via Chapter-Presidents
Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2020 3:27 PM
To: NFB Senior Division list <nfb-seniors at nfbnet.org>; 'NFB Chapter
Presidents discussion list' <chapter-presidents at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Robert Leslie Newman <robertleslienewman at gmail.com>
Subject: [Chapter-Presidents] 2020 Virtual Senior Retreat - 6 days left to
register - Here is Information, Registration, and Agenda

Hi You All

RE: Six days to closure of Registration for the NFB Seniors Division's 2020
Virtual Senior Retreat

Please consider this training opportunity for yourself, and/or pass it on to
other seniors! Below find an informational flyer, followed by a registration
form, and finally a copy of the agenda for our training retreat. Also find a
registration form and a copy of the agenda,  attached to this message. This
virtual training event will temporarily replace our face-to-face retreat;
blindness skills, philosophy, and information. Registration closes September
30th!

Note: First, here are five easy ways of getting your completed registration
form to us:

#1 By Email attachment: After detaching the registration form from this
email, bring it into your word processor and fill it out; then attach the
completed form to an email; Send that email to- nfbseniorsdivision at gmail.com
<mailto:nfbseniorsdivision at gmail.com>

#2 By pasted into and email: After detaching the registration form from this
email, bring it into your word processor and fill it out; Then select and
copy all the text in the completed form, and paste it into the body of an
email; Send that email to- nfbseniorsdivision at gmail.com
<mailto:nfbseniorsdivision at gmail.com>

#3 If you do not like attachments, do this: Copy the registration text below
in this email and paste it into an empty document in your word processor;
Fill it out; Copy the completed form out of your document, and paste it into
the body of an email; Send it to- nfbseniorsdivision at gmail.com
<mailto:nfbseniorsdivision at gmail.com>

#4 By mailing a hard copy: Detach the form from this email; Print it; Fill
it out; Send it to the mailing address given below. If you are paying your
fee by check, put it with your registration form in the same envelope.

#5 By visiting our website to pay the entrance fee by credit card, or
PayPal.

http://seniors.nfb.org/2020Retreat.html

Finally, get everything to us no later than September 30th. If needing
assistance, call me: Robert Leslie Newman: 402-660-1743

Email: robertleslienewman at gmail.com <mailto:robertleslienewman at gmail.com>

(I would happily take your information by phone.)

**

LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT

2020 VIRTUAL SENIOR RETREAT

Sponsored by the NFB Seniors Division

October 18th-24th

This virtual retreat focuses on promoting a sense of wellbeing and
self-confidence despite living with newly acquired vision loss, and/or
lifelong blindness. Our collective experience has taught us, that learning
about blindness from competent blind people, while sharing the camaraderie
of fellow retreat members, strengthens personal growth and guides seniors to
advocate for themselves. Participants can look forward to receiving training
in basic skills in adaptive techniques, development of new strategies for
solving problems, an introduction to valuable resources, all to be better
able to determine for themselves, what steps they can take to Live The Life
They Want. We cannot overstate the positive impact an individual will
experience as a member of a group of seniors, working together, sharing the
life-changing activities in a retreat of this nature; just ask one of our
recent graduates!

Come join us to explore the possibilities of taking control of your life,
and accepting vision loss by learning from a supportive, caring group of
successful blind Americans.

Cost of the retreat: $50.00 per participant. This covers the entire week of
training, and a list of valuable resources.

For any questions you may have, please contact Ruth Sager, President,
National Federation of the Blind Seniors Division.

Phone: 410-602-9030

Email: rsager78 at gmail.com <mailto:rsager78 at gmail.com>

Much more information relating to blindness can be found on our Seniors
website: http://seniors.nfb.org

***

REGISTRATION FORM

LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT

2020 VIRTUAL SENIOR RETREAT

October 18th-24th

Provide us with the following information and submit it no later than
September 30th.

Name:

Email Address:

Preferred Phone Number:

Address, Street:

City:

State, Zip Code:

This event will take place on the Zoom platform. Have you had experience
with it? If so, how would you be entering the call: ___ By land-line phone
___ By smart phone ___ By computer

Have you had any skills training in blindness techniques in the past? Yes-
No- Explain:

When did onset of blindness occur? Within the past year- Within the past
three years- More than five years- More than ten years- Longer-

Check the classes you are most interested in attending:

Cane Travel ___

Beginning Braille ___

Daily Living ___

Organizational Skills ___

Exploring Hobbies ___

Basic information on iPhone and IOS devices ___

Meaningful Discussions on Living With My Blindness ___

Our greatest gift to you during this training, is to teach you how to think
as a blind person needs to think. All your instructors are competent blind
people who use these skills on a daily basis, and have been sharing this
knowledge for years.

Note: It is highly recommended that you acquire a long, rigid white cane,
free from the National Federation of the Blind. to practice with the
instructors as you learn techniques for proper use, storage, and traveling
with a white cane. The proper length of your cane, when standing it vertical
at your front, it should extend up to your chin but not higher than your
nose. Canes should be ordered no later than September 5th, in order that you
receive it in time to participate in this retreat. Please contact the
National Federation of the Blind- on-line at-
https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/free-white-cane-program

or by phone at- 410-659-9314.

Also, if you checked (yes) to having an interest in learning beginning
Braille, you will receive a Braille booklet. Note: If you do not own a slate
and stylus, the long-time tool for writing braille, the NFB will give you
one, free! Here is the link to have one sent to you.

https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/free-slate-and-stylus-program

The cost per attendee for this retreat is $50.00. It can be paid by one of
the following two methods:

(Note: please place an "X" alongside the option you have chosen; it will
help us to match up you and your money.)

#1___ by credit card or PayPal- Go to the registration page on our website;
here is the link to that page:

http://seniors.nfb.org/2020Retreat.html

#2___ By check and sent to our Treasurer:

Seniors Division

Duncan Larsen

Colorado Center for the Blind

2233 West Shepperd Ave.

Littleton, CO 80120.

The check should be made out to: NFB Seniors Division. In the memo field,
write- SENIORS RETREAT.

Note: Submitting a completed hard copy version of the registration form can
be Included with your payment being sent to the above address.

Fees are nonrefundable; money will be considered a donation to the Seniors
Division. The registration fee must be received no later than September
30th.

Should you have any questions, please contact Ruth Sager, President NFB
Seniors Division

Phone: 410-602-9030 or

Email: rsager78 at gmail.com <mailto:rsager78 at gmail.com>

Note: Once your registration has been reviewed, the retreat team will send
you the information necessary for you to call into the classes that you are
scheduled for. We look forward to your participation in our first-ever
virtual Senior Retreat.

**Agenda:

Virtual Retreat Agenda

**Sunday, October 18, 2020

4:00-5:30 PM Eastern Time. Topic: Meet and Greet; Overview of the Week;
Discuss any logistical details to make the retreat flow smoothly. Lead
Instructor, Ruth Sager. Encourage students to ask questions at the end of
each session or, send them during the meetings.

Second topic: You Don't Have To be Totally Blind to Benefit From This
Training.

Follow with Question and Answer period.

Third Discussion of the Evening: Lead Instructor, Diane McGeorge. Why Is
Saying "Blind," helpful to Regain My Independence?

**Monday: October 19, 2020

 12:00-1:00 PM EDT. Cane Travel: Lead Instructor, Wayne Marshall.

Topic: All About Canes-What The Cane Can Do For You! Length of cane, types
of canes, arcing, tapping, gripping the cane.

1:00-2:00 PM EDT. Learning New Hobbies, Retaining Old Favorites and Making
Adaptations: Lead instructor, Robert Newman.

First topic: Learn what the NFB Independence Market has for us, games,
Adaptive equipment and supplies needed for a variety of hobbies. Also, learn
how to adapt some of your favorite games. Presenter- Ellen Ringlein, Manager
of the NFB Independence Market.

Second topic: Knitting Non-visually. Presenter- Gail Snider.

Third topic: (A duo) A wife and husband team: Wife- Helping others
trouble-shoot computer problems, sewing, and collecting music boxes and
their songs. Husband- I am a vocalist, pianist and writer of gospel music; I
call myself a "choir freak." Presenters- Judy and Chris Jones

2:00-3:00 PM EDT. Break.

3:00-4:00 PM EDT. Technology: Lead Instructor, Jane Degenshein.

Topic: Basics of iPhone: Learn navigating your iPhone, and some gestures.
Presenter- Steve Cook, District 2 State Board Member NFBSC.

4:00-5:00 PM EDT. Daily Living: Lead Presenter- Diane McGeorge.

Topic: Organizing your kitchen: marking appliances, labeling household
items, finding items on tables or countertops, pouring liquids, table
etiquette, maintain proper posture.

**Tuesday, October 20, 2020

12:00-1:00 PM EDT. Cane Travel: Lead Instructor, Wayne Marshall.

Topic: Indoor Travel- shorelining, detecting various surfaces, using
different grips, listening for echo sounds, finding open spaces, closed
areas, traveling on carpeted areas.

1:00-2:00 PM EDT. Learning New Hobbies, Retaining Old Favorites and Making
Adaptations: Lead instructor, Robert Newman.

First Topic: Jewelry maker/artist. Presenter- Carlos Sanchez

Second: Leather crafter; most anything in leather. Presenter- Jack Rupert

Third Topic: Crocheting non-visually. Presenter- Nancy Oltman

2:00-3:00 PM EDT. Break.

3:00-4:00 PM EDT.

Technology: Lead Instructor, Jane Degenshein.

Topic: Step 2 for the iPhone, continuing with more specific information.
Presenter- Matt Vollbrecht.

4:00-5:00 PM EDT. Organizational skills: Lead Instructor, Shelley Coppel.

Topic: Organizing print material, using sighted readers, filing, keeping
records and calendar for appointment. pen friend, Bible Currier, pocket
recorder. Presenter- Frank Loza.

**Wednesday, October 21, 2020

12:00-1:00 PM EDT. Cane Travel: Lead Instructor, Wayne Marshall.

Topic: Outdoor Travel-using cardinal directions, shorelining, using sun
location, understanding traffic patterns, using traffic flow, outdoor echo
and sound cues.

1:00-2:00 PM EDT. PM - Learning New Hobbies, Retaining Old Favorites and
Making Adaptations: Lead instructor, Robert Newman.

First Topic: A collector of nautical history and memorabilia on US Navy
ships carrying the name of, New Mexico. Also, a collector of antique
firearms. Presenter, Greg Trapp

Second Topic: Gardening in your back yard. Presenter- Ramona Walhof

2:0-3:00 PM EDT. Break.

3:00-4:00 PM EDT. Technology: Lead Instructor, Jane Degenshein.

Topic: Seeing AI and Introduction to other useful apps. Presenter- Steve
Cook, District 2 State Board Member NFBSC.

4:00-5:00 PM EDT. Informational Seminar: Lead Instructors Judy Sanders and
Shelley Coppel. Topic: Services and Programs Sponsored By The NFB; other
useful information.

**Thursday, October 22, 2020

12:00-1:00 PM EDT. Cane Travel: Lead Instructor, Wayne Marshall. Topic:
Outdoor Shorelining, finding curbs, driveways, entrances, crossing streets.

1:00-2:00 PM EDT. Learning New Hobbies, Retaining Old Favorites and Making
Adaptations: Lead instructor, Robert Newman.

First Topic: Writing as a hobby, and more. Presenter- Shelley Alongi,
President of the NFB Writers Division

Second topic: Restoring and caring for vintage cars, and home maintenance.
Presenter Frank Loza

2:00-3:00 PM EDT. Break.

3:00-4:00 PM EDT. Technology: Lead Instructor, Jane Degenshein.

Topic: All About Newsline. Presenter- Scots White, NFB Executive Director of
Sponsored Technology Programs.

4:00-5:00 PM EDT. Philosophy: Lead Instructor, Diane McGeorge with Shelley
Coppel.

Topic: Family Dynamics: How can I maintain my independence and ask for help
from my family when I need it? Also, how to decline assistance when I don't
think that I do need their help, without offending them?

**Friday, October 23, 2020

12:00-1:00 PM EDT. Cane Travel: Lead Instructor, Wayne Marshall.

Topic: Traveling Using ALL Modes of Transportation-public, private; stowing
the cane, asking for directions, asking for assistance.

1:00-2:00 PM EDT. Learning New Hobbies, Retaining Old Favorites and Making
Adaptations: Lead instructor, Robert Newman.

Topic: Join Jill Rossiter, 1st Vice-president of the NFB Krafters Division;
First learn about the Krafters division. Then, for a new twist on an old
chore, Jill will teach how to fold towels into cute shapes which can be used
to impress your house guests; a sailboat, a rabbit, and a swan. Not only
will you learn a new craft, but you will develop your listening and
directional skills to help you with all facets of life.

What you will need:

3 square wash cloths

1 hand towel

1 bath towel

1 rectangular dish/ drying cloth

5 rubber bands

2:00-3:00 PM EDT. Break.

3:00-4:00 PM EDT. Technology: Lead Instructor, Jane Degenshein.

Topic: Amazon Alexa "tips and tricks". Presenter- Jerry Moreno.

4:00-5:00 PM EDT. Finding Solutions: Lead Instructors, Judy Sanders, Glenn
Crosby.

Topic: What If.... Strategizing solutions to those social situations we all
find ourselves in when we can't think of an immediate good resolution.
Problem-solve with your newfound blind colleagues!

**Saturday, October 24 1:00-2:00 PM EDT. RAP-UP Session: Ask final
questions, share your successes from the week.