[NFBF-Melbourne] FW: [NFBF-L] Fwd: [NFBF-Leaders] Updates on sexual misconduct & abuse mentioned during the January live presidential release

ctate2076 at att.net ctate2076 at att.net
Wed Jan 6 19:25:45 UTC 2021

From: NFBF-L <nfbf-l-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of DENISE VALKEMA via NFBF-L
Sent: Wednesday, January 6, 2021 2:02 PM
To: NFBF <nfbf-l at nfbnet.org>; NFBF <nfbf-leaders at nfbnet.org>
Cc: DENISE VALKEMA <valkemadenise at aol.com>
Subject: [NFBF-L] Fwd: [NFBF-Leaders] Updates on sexual misconduct & abuse mentioned during the January live presidential release

Corrected

From: Denise Valkema via NFBF-Leaders <nfbf-leaders at nfbnet.org <mailto:nfbf-leaders at nfbnet.org> >
Date: January 6, 2021 at 9:17:43 AM EST
To: NFBF <nfbf-l at nfbnet.org <mailto:nfbf-l at nfbnet.org> >, NFBF <nfbf-leaders at nfbnet.org <mailto:nfbf-leaders at nfbnet.org> >
Cc: Denise Valkema <valkemadenise at aol.com <mailto:valkemadenise at aol.com> >

Release Date

Monday, January 4, 2021

Type

 <https://www.nfb.org/press-release-types/press-release> Press Release

Category

 <https://www.nfb.org/press-releases/national> National

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

National Federation of the Blind Announces Partnership with RAINN

The National Federation of the Blind today announced it has engaged RAINN, the nation's largest anti-sexual violence organization, to assist us in furthering a safe, inclusive, and welcoming culture free of sexual misconduct as part of all NFB programs and activities.

Specifically, RAINN will initially work with NFB to:

*	Create and conduct a mandatory training program regarding sexual violence and misconduct for staff, volunteers, and leadership with trainings to begin in March 2021.
*	Review and augment the NFB Code of Conduct to include the strongest possible policies aimed at preventing sexual misconduct and adopting best practices in this area.
*	Devise other ongoing trainings, relevant components, and resources as identified by RAINN and NFB.

“Our partnership with RAINN is a critical component of the commitment that the Board of Directors has made to our community,” said Mark Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind. “We do not tolerate sexual violence and abuse. While this engagement is just the beginning of our ongoing and continual efforts to address this issue, we look forward to working with RAINN to ensure that everyone can participate in the critical work we do in the safest and most welcoming environment possible.”

###

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB), headquartered in Baltimore, is the oldest and largest nationwide organization of blind Americans. Founded in 1940, the NFB consists of affiliates, chapters, and divisions in the fifty states, Washington DC, and Puerto Rico. The NFB defends the rights of blind people of all ages, and provides information and support to families with blind children, older Americans who are losing vision, and more. We believe in the hopes and dreams of blind people and work together to transform them into reality. Learn more about our many programs and initiatives at  <https://www.nfb.org/> nfb.org.

About RAINN
RAINN, the nation's largest anti-sexual violence organization, created and operates the National Sexual Assault Hotline in partnership with more than 1,000 local sexual assault service providers across the country. RAINN also carries out programs to prevent sexual violence, educate the public, help organizations improve their sexual violence prevention and response programs, and ensure that perpetrators are brought to justice. If you or someone you know has experienced sexual violence, free, confidential help is available 24/7 by calling 800.656.HOPE (4673) or visiting  <http://online.rainn.org/> online.rainn.org.

CONTACT

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

 <tel:410-659-9314> 410-659-9314, extension 2330

 <tel:410-262-1281> 410-262-1281 (cell)

 <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org> cdanielsen at nfb.org

Safety & Support: #MarchingTogether

Content Warning: the following information addresses sensitive topics regarding abuse, sexual violence, and misconduct.

As the leading civil rights organization of the blind in the United States, every day we work to bring equality, love, and hope to our community. The blind community, like the rest of society, is not immune to violence and sexual misconduct. We thank the brave survivors for sharing their stories during a recent movement under the hashtag #MarchingTogether. We are committed to and welcome an ongoing process of learning how to heal from past trauma, to prevent future instances, and to protect victims and survivors.

Regarding this initiative, a survivor is someone—a Federation member or non-member within the blind community— who has experienced pain through violence, abuse, or misconduct of any kind (including, but not limited to, physical/sexual/psychological abuse, harassment, or assault) and may continue to live with trauma as a result.

Please find updates and important details regarding this critical matter:

Introducing Our Survivor Task Force

As part of our efforts to implement a sustainable positive culture change, we are eager to announce our entirely survivor-led task force, will serve as an intermediate advisory team to the National Federation of the Blind leaders, members, and third-party partners until a long-term solution is identified. In representing the voice of survivors, these task-force members will focus on addressing and preventing abuse and sexual misconduct within the Federation. Objectives include:

*	Collect feedback and information from survivors and allies;
*	Share resources/information and updates with the blindness community;
*	Brainstorm action plans and develop recommendations for leadership;
*	Recommend ways to provide ongoing support to survivors who have been harmed at Federation events or NFB-branded centers;
*	Contribute to creating a culture of accountability, transparency, and safety for everyone who attends Federation events or programs; and
*	Identify a long-term sustainable structure to focus on support and healing of survivors and prevention of future incidents across the Federation.

The initial areas of exploration and action include procedures and policies, training development and delivery, communication, oversight, and creating a meaningful organizational culture shift.

How can you contact us?

We currently have two methods of communication and will share updates via  <https://www.nfb.org/survivors> nfb.org/survivors. To share concerns, ask questions, or voice an interest in helping with our efforts, please email  <mailto:survivors at nfb.org> survivors at nfb.org or call  <tel:410-659-9314> 410-659-9314 extension 2238. Note that all task force members have access to these communication channels. The Survivor Task Force is not responsible for receiving and resolving grievances, but will be supportive and helpful as individuals navigate their experiences and healing. The Survivor Task Force stands with all survivors who have been harmed and are invested in this much-needed change.

Who Are We?

We are a group of six blind diverse leaders and members of the Federation, who are invested in positive change and justice for all survivors. We are made up of:

*	Marci Carpenter has been a proud member of the Federation since joining in 1981 as a student. Currently, she serves as president of the Washington affiliate. Marci is blind with hearing loss and other medical conditions. She serves on the Board of Trustees of the state school for the blind and has helped blind youth and adults learn self-advocacy. She lives life with intentionality and sincerity and cares deeply about creating space for people to heal and grow.
*	Kathryn Webster lives in Alexandria, Virginia, where she works at Deloitte Consulting implementing strategic transformation for federal agencies, notably rolling out improvements to the sexual assault/harassment process within the military space. As the coordinator of Virginia’s employment readiness program for blind youth ages 14-21 and treasurer of BLIND, Inc., she has a deep passion for optimizing lived experiences as individuals reach their full potential. Kathryn prioritizes advocacy for others, leading with her heart, and living with purpose above all else.
*	Sarah Meyer is a Federation member in our Indiana affiliate, lives with other mental and physical health conditions, and attended the Colorado Center for the Blind. As the lead call handler for a crisis and suicide hotline, she strives to lead with compassion, empathy, integrity, authenticity, inclusion, and wholeheartedness. Sarah is passionate about mental health/recovery as a part of cultivating a culture of consent. Experiencing sexual misconduct within the blindness community and being familiar with the harm of not having had sound procedures to address this trauma have compelled Sarah to participate in efforts to make the NFB a safer environment that allows them to live the lives they want.
*	Cheryl Fields of Cleveland, Ohio, is an encourager who approaches life with enthusiasm and empathy. She loves laughing and playing games with her four grandchildren, reading, crafting (especially crocheting,) and is currently editing her first novel. Cheryl is an affiliate board member and chair of the Ohio Community Service Committee. Cheryl is a thriving survivor of domestic violence and received peer support training through the Cleveland Domestic Violence and Child Advocacy Center, facilitating a peer support group at Cleveland sight Center where she is also an executive committee member of the board of trustees.
*	Daphne Mitchell manages vocational rehabilitation field services for the New Mexico Commission for the Blind and serves as secretary for the Louisiana Center for the Blind. Ethical principles, equity, integrity, and justice guide Daphne’s decisions, as she strives to help others overcome challenges by advocating for individuals while respecting autonomy; being an active listener; meeting the individual where they are and help them become or reclaim self-empowerment; and honor the responsibility the individual entrusts in her guidance.
*	Briley O’Connor has professional experience in both the blindness rehabilitation and accessibility fields, and serves as the secretary of the Minnesota affiliate. In her personal and professional life, she strives to be a strong advocate for changing structures and systems that devalue and harm marginalized people, and is particularly passionate about issues that impact blind children, women, and LGBTQIA+ people. Having been a part of the NFB for over fifteen years, she is honored to be a part of shifting the culture so all blind people feel safe, heard, and represented.

Link to current code of conduct <https://www.nfb.org/about-us/history-and-governance/code-conduct>  https://www.nfb.org/about-us/history-and-governance/code-conduct

:Forward Together,

Denise Valkema, President

President at nfbflorida.org <mailto:President at nfbflorida.org>