[NFBF-Tampa] Tampa Bay Chapter Meeting Minutes March 2017

Sherrill O'Brien Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Tue Apr 18 22:40:40 UTC 2017

Hello to all,

The March meeting minutes are pasted below my signature and also attached.

I hope to see you at Beefs for our meeting this Saturday.

Warm regards

Sherrill

Tampa Bay Chapter

Chapter Meeting Minutes

March 25, 2017

Beef O'Brady's

8810 N. Himes Avenue

Tampa, Florida

The meeting was called to order by President Miranda Kilby at 12:15pm.
Miranda introduced our guest speaker, Christina Estillaga from Envision
America. She demonstrated and passed around the two products sold by the
company, which are the ScripTalk and the ID Mate Galaxy. She will represent
the company as an exhibitor at our state convention.

Following the presentation, Miranda asked All to introduce themselves, and
to share  with the group their favorite app. There were fifteen members in
attendance.

Merry led the group in saying the NFB pledge.

Treasurer's and Secretary's Reports

Dan reported our balance is $3710.77. A motion was made by Merry, seconded
by Marion, to approve the treasurer's report as read. The motion passed.

A motion was made by Marion, seconded by Paul, to approve the February
minutes as emailed. The motion passed.

President's Report

Miranda reported on the great experience she had while attending the
leadership seminar in Baltimore.

There is an upcoming state fundraising raffle called Lucky Seven in honor of
NFB's 77th anniversary. The winner will receive 777 dollars in a travel
voucher or cash. The drawing will take place at national convention in July.

Miranda said that "why I am a Federationist" stories are being posted on our
NFBF FaceBook page, and said she will post a story for anyone needing that
assistance. She reported that the Tampa chapter Board met by teleconference
on March 22.

Old Business

Miranda said we need to vote in four new members. Some were not in
attendance, so we will vote them in when they are present. A motion was made
by Merry, seconded by Marion, that we vote to accept Jeanette Torres as a
member of our chapter. The motion passed.

State Convention

Miranda said the deadline is May 5 for reserving a room at the DoubleTree
Hotel in Orlando at the reduced NFBF rate. She called for door prizes and
can provide a donation letter to give to businesses. She announced that the
chapter Board had passed a motion  that  the registration fee and banquet
ticket for all members attending the state convention will be paid for by
the chapter.

HART information and activities

Gloria said the next HART accessibility committee meeting will take place in
May, and Miranda encouraged our participation. Merry will find out when the
next HART Board meeting will  be held.

Merry then shared some personal experiences when taking fixed route buses.
She said there is an ongoing problem with both inside and outside
announcements not being made consistently. Announcements are an ADA
requirement.  She stressed the importance of logging in complaints with
customer service and then following up. She said more people need to file
complaints so HART will have to recognize this is a widespread problem which
demands correcting.

Meet the Blind Month

Miranda said it will soon be time to begin making plans for our Meet the
Blind Month activities.

Marion said that if the chapter could hold an October Meet the Blind event
down in Gaslight Park on a day when the city contracts with musicians to
play there, he would donate his earnings to the chapter. We will discuss
this  further.

Janice Butler won the 50/50 drawing.

Our next meeting will be held on April 22.

The meeting was adjourned at 2:20pm.

Respectfully submitted

Sherrill O'Brien, Secretary

Tampa Bay Chapter