[NFBF-Tampa] immediate attendtion needed

Tampa Bay President nfbf.tampa at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 20:18:03 UTC 2017

Members of the Tampa Bay Chapter of the National Federation of the
Blind of Florida: We need you!!

What is happening?...

Legislative action needed! H.R. 3571, the "Reasonable ADA Compliance
Act of 2017" is a bill introduced and sponsored by Congresswoman Kathy
Castor of District 14 for the state of Florida. Currently there are no
co-sponsors and we need your help to encourage Representative Castor
to withdraw this bill.

If passed, this legislation will dramatically weaken the ADA,
hindering education, employment, and community participation for all
people with disabilities. The bill prevents people with disabilities
from filing a lawsuit regarding an ADA violation until the person
first notifies the violator. The violator has 120 days to remedy the
problem. If the violator does not remedy the problem during the 120
days, the violator has the right to request from the court an
extension for an additional 30 days to correct the issue, totaling 150
days. This is only 30 days less than H.R. 620 (the previous bill
written to weaken the ADA).

Does it make sense to wait 150 days for accessible instructional
material? By then, the class will be over.

How about waiting 150 days for an accessible job application? By then
the job will be filled.

How about waiting 150 days at the doctor’s office for an accessible
check in kiosk?

How about waiting 150 days to be able to enter a cab, Uber, Lyft,
restaurant, or hotel due to the use of a service animal?

Businesses do not need more time to comply with the ADA they have had
twenty-seven years already.

What can you do to help?
Please join us Tomorrow, Wednesday, August 30th at 10 AM, to urge
Congresswoman Kathy Castor to withdraw H.R. 3571, the "Reasonable ADA
Compliance Act of 2017". If you cannot join us, then I urged you to
call and ask her to withdrawal withdraw H.R. 3571.Details are listed
below if you are attending, or if you will be calling in.

***If you are attending in person, I ask that you please dress to impress.

Please find her contact information below:
Tampa Office Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Phone: (813) 871-2817
Fax: (813) 871-2864
4144 N. Armenia Ave., Suite 300, Tampa, FL 33607

Washington D. C. Office Hours: 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
 Phone: (202) 225-3376
 Fax: (202) 225-5652
2052 Rayburn House Office Building, Washington, DC 20515

Talking points for speaking with the Congresswoman or one of her staff:
* The act weakens the ADA;
* Under this act students with disabilities will not have remedies to
receive accessible instructional materials to complete a course while
students without a disability will have completed the course;
*Disabled job seekers who cannot access an online application will not
be considered for the position since the probability is that the job
will no longer be available after 120 to 150 days;
* There will be no remedies for individuals who have been denied
access due to the use of a service animal into a public accommodation
where the general public is welcomed.

Members and friends if you are not comfortable talking on the
telephone instructions for emailing is below:
To email:
Go to:   http://castor.house.gov/
Go to the "Contact" link and within this link is a form to fill out.
Under the subject line you will find a list of categories, if you hit
the letter "c" until you are at "Civil Rights" - then choose Civil
Rights.
You will find a message box to send your message.  Here is an example
of a message that you may want to send:

Dear Representative Castor:

I am requesting the withdrawal of H.R. 3571, the "Reasonable ADA
Compliance Act of 2017. This act will harm the blind and other persons
with disabilities. Under this act students with disabilities will not
have remedies to receive accessible instructional materials to
complete a course until the course is over. Disabled job seekers who
cannot access an online application since the job will no longer be
available after 120 to 150 days. A blind person who needs to check
into a doctor's appointment using a kiosk will not be able to do so
and will have to wait up to 150 days until this problem is remedied.

The Americans with Disabilities Act has been a part of law to provide
equity for blind or otherwise disabled individuals since 1990 - 27
years. I believe this is ample time for businesses to become align
with accessibility.  If accessibility is a part of the beginning of
construction it is affordable and easy to implement.

I would greatly appreciate the withdrawal of this bill that will only
separate and create inequality for individuals with disabilities.

Sincerely,
Your name

Thank you all for participating in this legislative action! We cannot
do anything without you!

We are stronger together, when we work together!
--
Miranda B. Kilby
President, Tampa Bay Chapter
E-mail: nfbf.tampa at gmail.com
The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and
friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind.
Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they
want.