[NFBF-Tampa] what are your thoughts?

Marion Gwizdala marion.gwizdala at verizon.net
Wed Mar 8 21:40:14 UTC 2017

Jim,

                Thank you so much for sending this link to this incredible
article to us. As one who benefited from sleep shade work while
participating in O&M instruction as a very high partial (I had 20/30
eyesight with a field of vision of less than 15 degrees), I understand the
importance of learning the fundamental skills  of blindness well so as to
have the highest level of independence under a variety of circumstances and
throughout the life span of deteriorating eyesight to total blindness. I
find too many individuals who are not afforded this beneficial training find
their independence compromised as they lose eyesight, thus experiencing the
need for additional training as their eyesight deteriorates. This is also a
social burden, as rehabilitation professionals who do not use blindfold
training and the structured discovery method of O&M do a disservice to their
consumer and society by promulgating the revolving door of return to
training as eyesight is lost.

                I also have benefitted from my immersion into the
philosophical writings of the Federation and the leadership training I
received from Kenneth Jernigan, Marc Maurer, Joanne Wilson, Jim Gashel, and
the scores of other Federationists with whom I have discussed such things
and whose writings I have read. More importantly, I have challenged myself
to not accept the low expectations of society and other blind people who
have attempted to convince me that the Federation philosophy is irrational
and untenable. I have applied this philosophy to my every day life and, when
one puts the philosophy into practice by raising their own expectations of
themselves, they find it is very rational, tenable, and practical!

                I hope everyone reads this awesome, inspiring article and
continues to network with the National Federation of the Blind where they
will find mentors who will bring them to a higher state of consciousness
about blindness and the reality that it is not as limiting as the propaganda
purports!

Fraternally yours,

Marion Gwizdala

                The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise
the expectations of the blind because low expectations are the obstacles
that stand between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you
want! Blindness is not what holds you back.