[NFBF-Tampa] apologize

Marion Gwizdala marion.gwizdala at verizon.net
Fri Jun 15 16:03:13 UTC 2018

Jimmy,

                I believe our messages were misunderstood. At least,
speaking for myself, my point was that the resources concerning blindness
from the Foundation Fighting Blindness tend to reinforce the myths and
misconceptions of blindness that keep blind people stuck in their low
expectations and the general public with the belief that blindness is more
limiting than it really is. It was only a couple weeks ago when I was making
my way quite well toward the door of my neighborhood Walgreen's that someone
asked me if I knew where I was. When I replied that I did, in fact, know
where I was, he chose to quiz me and called me a few very demeaning epithets
when I told him I thought I was in Philadelphia!

My point in saying this is that FFB wants the public to believe that we
cannot function well without our eyesight and disseminates information to
this end in order to raise money for their cause. There are much better ways
to accomplish their fund raising goals than portraying us as helpless wards
of the sighted public and their "There but for the grace of God go I!"
attitude that keeps us in the endless cycle of low expectation.

Fraternally yours,

Marion