[NFBF-Tampa] I am posting the following two links for educational purposes.

David david at bakerinet.com
Sat Mar 17 13:53:36 UTC 2018

Dear Jeanette,

Thank you very much for posting this.  What struck me was Dr. Nyman's
observation that their approach to learning found them, rather than they
finding the approach.

I have RP and still have considerable remaining vision.  While I had
used a solid carbon-fiber long cane for almost 17 years, I enrolled in
Leader Dogs for Blind's (LDB's) Accelerated Mobility Program (AMP)
several years ago.  The solid carbon-fiber cane had been my choice many
years prior, because of the tactile information it gave me.   When i
arrived for the AMP at LDB, I asked to receive some of the training with
sleep-shades.  They were reluctant, but agreed.  Like many of us with
partial vision, I may have been resigned to total vision loss, but I was
also deeply fearful of it.

During those few brief lessons, the loss of that fear found me. I
learned that without sight, I was still very much a part of the world
and it was still a part of me.  Reflected sounds, moving sounds,
pavement textures, odors (grass, parking lots, coffee shops, alleys,
bushes), directional changes in breezes as I passed by alleys, changes
in temperature of reflected heat from the walls of different buildings,
and a lot more that I have probably forgotten, informed me about my
environment in ways that astounded me.

Although my reactions to my tiny journey may sound trite to those who
have lived their lives without vision, that experience fundamentally
changed my attitude about my vision loss.  It was clearly one of the
most exciting weeks of my life.  It reminded me that we are on journey
and need to be open to our experiences and to our future.

Thanks again,

*David in Clearwater, FL*
*david at bakerinet.com

*