[NFBF-Tampa] Tampa Bay Chapter Meeting Minutes February 2020

Sherrill O'Brien sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Sat Mar 28 06:07:28 UTC 2020

Tampa Bay Chapter

Chapter Meeting Minutes

February 22, 2020

Beef O’Brady’s

8810 N. Himes Avenue

Tampa, Florida

The meeting was called to order by President Miranda Kilby at 12:50PM. All
introduced themselves, and there were 23 in attendance, including three
guests: Violet Fouts, Kris maharaj and Mikayla Maiorino. Marion led the NFB
Pledge.

Treasurer’s and Secretary’s Reports

Dan gave the treasurer’s report.

Our current balance is $2,072.11.

A motion was made by Merry, seconded by Marion, to approve the treasurer’s
report as read. The motion passed.

Miranda invited all to pay their dues and reminded the group that only those
whose dues are paid for 2020 are eligible to vote in our election. Our guest
Chris Maharaj asked what our dues are used for, and several people
explained.

Miranda called for a moment of silence  in honor of Louise Peyton’s mother
who passed away last week.

New Members

A motion was made by Marion, seconded by Merry, to accept Mikayla Maiorino
as a chapter member. The motion passed.

A motion was made by Sherrill, seconded by Dan, to accept Kris Maharaj as a
chapter member. The motion passed.

We then broke for lunch, and resumed the meeting at 1:30.

Secretary’s Report

A motion was made by Sherrill, seconded by Merry, to approve the November
2019 minutes as emailed. The motion passed. (Dan had written the minutes in
the secretary’s absence.)

Washington Seminar Report

Miranda thanked Yvonne Rosanelli for her participation in the Washington
Seminar as a representative from our chapter.

Yvonne then spoke about the three legislative initiatives which were
highlighted this year:  the Assistive 1. Technology Affordability Act

2. the Greater Access and Independence Through nonvisual  Technology Act;

3. The Accessible Instructional Materials in Higher Education Act

Yvonne said that  staying at an Air B and B not only saved money but was
also a great bonding experience.

Merry, who is the affiliate’s Legislative co chair, said that we were able
to expand the number of participants this year to thirteen because the
chapters helped out by providing the per diem.

State Scholarships

Merry said it is time to begin the process of awarding state scholarships,
and encouraged everyone to pass along the scholarship application.

Guide Dog Users Update

Marion, who is president of the National Association of Guide Dog Users
(NAGDU), explained that the Department of Transportation has issued their
Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) dealing with changes to the Air Carrier
Access Act. NFB is opposed to many of these changes since they would
negatively impact air travel for guide dog users. Marion has sent the final
draft of his comments on behalf of  NAGDU to President Riccobono for his
approval.

Marion encouraged guide dog users to submit their own comments to the DOT

President’s Report

Miranda thanked the chapter for working so hard in her absence, and for our
ongoing support.

She said we now have a planning committee for our very exciting upcoming
state convention, which will be held over the Memorial Day weekend in Tampa.
Miranda said that The Florida affiliate will be celebrating our 50th
anniversary, so this year’s convention will be special.

Miranda said there are plans to change our affiliate’s constitution so that
all chapter elections will be staggered rather than choosing all officers
and Board members in the same election.

She said of course this does not apply to our chapter election this year.

Chapter Elections

Results of the election are as follows, with all elected by acclamation:

President Miranda Kilby

Vice president Merry Schoch

Secretary Sherrill O’Brien

Treasurer Dan Hicks

Board Member 1 Marion Gwizdala

Board Member 2 Yvonne Rosanelli

Board Member 3 Gloria Hicks

Our next meeting will be held on March 22 in Tampa at the Crystal Bay Café
located in the Edgecomb County Courthouse, 200 East Twiggs Street. Merry
said that Debbie Hietala   who has generously offered her café for our use,
will provide Cuban sandwiches. Merry encouraged everyone to bring something
to share. We will coordinate this on our chapter list.

Miranda asked that we think about chapter goals and plans, including
fundraising ideas, so we can talk about them at our next meeting

HART Update

Merry encouraged everyone to attend the HART Board meeting which will be
held on Monday, March 2.

The 50/50 drawing was won by Dan, in the amount of $24.

The meeting was adjourned at 2:05PM.

Respectfully submitted

Sherrill O’Brien, Secretary

Tampa Bay Chapter

Phone 813-935-0474, cell 813-767-1890

email Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net

expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you bac