[NFBF-Tampa] Tampa Bay Chapter meeting minutes August 2020

Sherrill O'Brien sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Thu Sep 17 00:07:40 UTC 2020

Hello to all,

Here are the august chapter meeting minutes, pasted and also attached.

I am not sure how to spell our HART speaker's name, but will correct it as
soon as I can.

I hope all are well and are really looking forward to celebrating our
special 50th anniversary convention!

Sherrill

Tampa Bay Chapter

Chapter Meeting Minutes

August 22, 2020

Due to the restrictions resulting from the Covid-19 pandemic, the chapter
members met from our homes via the Zoom meeting platform

The meeting was called to order by President Miranda Kilby at 12:02PM.

All attendees introduced themselves, with a total of twelve persons present.

Secretary and Treasurer'sReports

A motion was made by Louise Peyton, seconded by Noe Villeda, to accept the
June meeting minutes as emailed. The motion passed. (The chapter did not
hold a meeting in July.)

No treasurer's report was given. However, Dan reported that our current
balance is $2,144.83.

President's Report

Miranda invited everyone to attend the affiliate open Board and convention
planning meeting, to be held via Zoom tomorrow, August 23, at 8:00PM. NFB
President Riccobono's Presidential Release will once again be held live via
Zoom, on September 1 at 8:00PM.

Miranda said state convention registration will be held via Google Forms.
There is no cost, but registration is required to win door prizes and to
vote. The deadline for registering has not yet been announced.

The convention will take place October 2 to 4, beginning on Friday
afternoon.

New Business

Following a brief discussion, a motion was made by Sherrill, seconded by
Noe, that we contribute $350 toward a state scholarship, sharing the $750
chapter portion with the Miami chapter. The motion passed.

Miranda then asked if we would like to contribute money toward convention
door prizes, which will be in the amount of $50 each this year in honor of
NFBF's 50th anniversary. A motion was made by Merry, seconded by Lynn
Reynolds,that we contribute $300 for door prizes. The motion passed.

Fundraising

Yvonne Rosanelli said her seamstress is sewing masks  which Yvonne will make
available for a suggested donation of five dollars, at each of the
Rosanelli's three doctor's offices.

Yvonne wishes to donate the proceeds to our chapter. She also agreed to make
available, for a donation, refillable hand sanitizers which resemble pens.
Miranda will send out an email about these and how to obtain them.

We discussed holding our traditional 50/50 drawing fundraiser by purchasing
virtual tickets through Paypal or Square, since we want to continue
supporting nFB's PAC Plan. A motion was made by Louise, seconded by Marion,
that we look into the best method for paying for our 50/50 drawings until we
once again meet in person. The motion passed.

Speaker from HART

Our speaker was Sherrie Labarati,, HART's Compliance officer Title VI
administrator.

She gave us an in depth look at the new Flamingo fares program. It
eliminates the need for paper passes, allowing riders to pay using either a
plastic reloadable Smart(Flamingo) Card or a SmartPhone app. Your SmartCard
will need to be registered initially, and you will receive an identifying
serial number. Instead of paying in advance, you pay as you go, downloading
a desired value on an app or SmartCard. Depending on your preference, fares
will be capped at a daily or monthly rate no matter how often you ride. For
now this will be available only on the fixed route system. Eventually HART
hopes to include it on HARTPlus. A discount Flamingo card will be available
for qualified riders, and will still be half price . Riders will still be
able to pay with cash. The new system will be available on some routes in
November. There will soon be a regional website linked to HART's website,
since this program will be available in several other counties. For further
information Sherrie's email is  compliance at gohart.org.

Members asked many questions and offered suggestions. Accessibility was the
biggest concern. Louise suggested that the lighthouse be contacted so their
mobility instructor can learn the details of the new system.

Before adjourning, we observed a moment of silence in honor of chapter
member mae Demers and her daughter, who both lost their lives this month due
to Covid-19. Our thoughts are also with Mae's husband Les who is left to
grieve this tremendous loss.

The meeting was adjourned at 1:45PM.

Respectfully submitted

Sherrill O'Brien, Secretary

Tampa Bay Chapter

Phone 813-935-0474, cell 813-767-1890

email Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net

expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you bac