[NFBF-Tampa] Tampa Bay chapter meeting Minutes January 2021

Sherrill O'Brien sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Thu Feb 25 23:52:00 UTC 2021

Hello to all,

You'll find the minutes pasted below.

As I read over the minutes, I felt proud of our chapter and the efforts
we're making to help blind people in the Tampa Bay area live the lives we
want, even when we have to do it virtually.

I hope to hear you on the call tomorrow.

Warmly

Sherrill

Tampa Bay Chapter

Chapter Meeting Minutes

January 23, 2021

Because of the restrictions resulting from the Covid-19 pandemic, the
chapter members met from our homes via the Zoom meeting platform

The meeting was called to order by President Miranda Kilby at 12:02PM. Kathy
Fleeger led us in saying the NFB Pledge.

All introduced themselves. There were 14 persons in attendance, including
guest John Montgomery, who was invited by Yvonne.

Secretary and Treasurer's Reports

A motion was made by Noe, seconded by Marion, to accept the October meeting
minutes as emailed. The motion passed.

Dan read the treasurer's report. He said we collected a total of $77 for
this month's 50/50 drawing. Our current balance is $2,090.10.

A motion was made by Sherrill, seconded by Kathy, to approve the treasurer's
report as read. The motion passed.

President's Report

Miranda reviewed our chapter's activities in 2020.

On the national level, Miranda said the Independence Market is again open,
and is now featuring a "hot item" of the month. She also reminded everyone
about NFB's free white cane and slate and stylus programs.

Legislative Issues

Miranda asked Merry to speak about NFBF's work with both their state and
national legislation.

She said Camille Tate is in charge of state legislation and would appreciate
help from as many NFbF members as possible. Merry announced this would be
her last year organizing Florida's involvement in Washington Seminar.
Russell Davis is assisting this year, and will take over for her next year.

Rus was on the call, and gave us details about the four initiatives we'll be
working on as we meet virtually with legislators and their staff.

1.       The reworked Accessible Technology Affordability Act (ATAA.)

This bill would allow up to a $2000 refundable tax credit over three years
on the purchase of adaptable or accessible technology.

2.       The medical Devices Nonvisual Accessibility Act This bill would
seek to ensure the accessibility by manufacturers, through FDA standards, of
the many digitally complex home based medical devices  which are coming on
to the market.

3.       Americans with Disabilities Voting Rights Act  This bill seeks to
expand the Help America Vote Act (HAVA)  through allowing accessible voting
online, as well as standardizing voting machines at all polling places to
ensure independent and private voting for those with disabilities.

4.       Mobile Apps and Web Accessibility Act

Rus said there will be a statewide informational meeting on January 25 prior
to breaking into smaller regional groups. Paul said that as state Board
officers, he and Miranda will help wherever needed. Miranda thanked Rus for
giving us a good summary of what this year's Washington Seminar is all about
and said this is a great opportunity for those who have never attended a
Washington Seminar to get involved virtually this year.

Possible projects and Speaker Topics

New Service, TD Tampa Bay

Paul informed us of a new transportation service which could be very
beneficial for all of us. Through a grant, TD Tampa Bay will offer low cost
rides to and from the following counties: Hernando, Hillsborough, Manatee,
Pasco and Pinellas. If you qualify for HART Plus, you are eligible for this
service. If you are simply traveling within a county, you have to exhaust
other services before using the new one. There is an application online to
fill out which at the moment is not totally accessible. Marion will try to
get a speaker from this service for our March meeting.

Service Dog Users Educational Project

Marion talked about the ongoing discrimination and ignorance so many guide
dog users face on an ongoing basis, including from businesses, Uber, housing
and law enforcement. He said he has a good relationship with the
Hillsborough County state attorney's office, and thinks we should pursue a
comprehensive online program with their assistance. He said since our
chapter has so many members with guide dogs, an educational zoom program
among pertinent stakeholders would be a worthwhile project in which we could
be involved.

Following discussion, a motion was made by Marion, seconded by Joy Relton,
to plan such a project for this year. The motion passed.

Audio Description

Kris Maharaj suggested we have a speaker to discuss audio description.
Gloria said she is working on getting someone from Spectrum to speak about
this at the Senior Concerns meeting in February.

Meet the Blind Month

Miranda said she would like to see us hold a virtual fair with organizations
and vendors updating all blind people in the community, especially those who
have recently lost vision,  about the latest goods and services available in
our area. We will have to be flexible about the date, since our convention
will again be held in October in the hope that we can meet in person this
year. Tampa will be the site of the convention as the contract was simply
pushed back a year.

New HART CEO

Merry said HART just hired a new CEO, so it would be a good idea to invite
her to speak at a chapter meeting.

Recycling

Sherrill will once again try to schedule a speaker from Hillsborough County
Recycling for our March or May meeting.

Accessible City Program

Joy is interested in NFB's Accessible City Program and would like to see
more people with disabilities involved locally, perhaps on city planning
committees. Miranda suggested that she get in touch with Tampa ADA
Coordinator Raquel Pancho. Joy then told us that she was asked to serve as a
public speaking mentor for a NFB National Association of Blind Students two
day Zoom seminar. She said it was a very good experience, with over 100
students participating.

Miranda reminded everyone that it is time to pay our chapter dues.

50/50 Drawing

We then held our 50/50 drawing. Paul lewis was the winner, receiving $38.50.

We agreed that we should once again invite everyone from across the state to
participate in the 50/50 drawing at our February meeting.

Our next meeting will be held on February 27 via the Zoom platform.

The meeting was adjourned at 1:30PM.

Respectfully submitted

Sherrill O'Brien, Secretary

Tampa Bay Chapter

Phone 813-935-0474, cell 813-767-1890

email Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net

expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you bac