[NFBF-Tampa] Tampa Bay Chapter Meeting Minutes May 2022

Sherrill O'Brien sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Fri Jun 17 17:50:14 UTC 2022

Happy Friday to all,

Here are your May chapter meeting minutes.

Sherrill

Tampa Bay Chapter

Chapter Meeting Minutes

May 28, 2022

Beef O ' Brady's

8810 North Himes Avenue

Tampa, Florida

The meeting was called to order by President Miranda Kilby at 12:08PM. All
introduced themselves. There were  19 persons in attendance, 15 in person
and  4 via the Zoom platform. We welcomed 8 guests. Those guests attending
in person were: Greg Farley and his father, Yvonne's husband Dr. George
Rosanelli and her father Dr. Fajardo, Jessica Cuddy, and two others whose
names I don't have. The guest attending via Zoom was Rob Farenbaugh who
called in from Pennsylvania. He is interested in our chapter because he also
has a home in Palm Harbor.

Miranda called for a moment of silence to honor longtime NFB leaders Jeannie
Massay and Joe Ruffalo.

Yvonne gave the NFB pledge.

Secretary and Treasurer Reports

A motion was made by Paul, seconded by Dan, to approve the April minutes as
emailed. The motion passed.

Dan gave the treasurer's report. Our balance is $1,638.28.

A motion was made and seconded  to accept the treasurer's report as read.
The motion passed.

President's Report

Miranda gave pertinent details about the upcoming national convention to be
held in July in New Orleans. So far six members from are chapter plan to
attend.

Miranda encouraged everyone to call into the state convention open planning
meeting to be held on the first Sunday of June at 8:00PM. She said we need
to start thinking about a theme for our chapter's state convention auction
basket.

She said the private room at Beef O ' Brady's is not available on our
regular fourth Saturday   meeting date. We decided to hold our June meeting
on the third Saturday, June 18.

Old Business

Pancake Breakfast Fund Raiser

Miranda reported that we can once again hold our pancake breakfast fund
raiser at Beef O ' Brady's. Our cost would be four dollars a plate. We would
not have to pay for a waitress this time.  The membership was in favor of
going ahead with the breakfast. We will hold it on July 23 and sell the
tickets for eight dollars each. We will make flyers to hand out at our next
meeting. Sherrill will check with the Carrollwood Publix about the
possibility of distributing them there. Miranda will put out a Facebook
announcement. Dan will look into selling the tickets via Zell.

We will have a table outside the private room featuring Braille, NFB
literature, a 50/50 drawing and a drawing for breakfast themed items.

Update on Cross County Transportation

During a meeting break, Gloria reported on the TD Tampa Bay update meeting
held at the Lighthouse. Several chapter members were in attendance. The
Tampa Bay Area Regional Transit Authority (T-BARTA) Director of
Communications Chris Jadick gave the TD Tampa Bay update. We are hoping the
governor will include the appropriations in the budget for restoring this
cross county service. Gloria said that the Sunshine Line, with  grant money,
will start a similar service for their clients by the end of 2022.  In this
plan, Three counties, Hillsborough, Pinellas and Pasco,   will provide the
cross county service. HART Plus  clients will probably not be eligible.

We then resumed old business.

Spirit night

Miranda has inquiries into several restaurants but does not as yet have a
firm commitment from any of them. Yvonne suggested we look into holding a
Spirit night at Pin Chasers where we are having a chapter social event in
August.

Gala Fund Raiser

Miranda has appointed Yvonne and Kristine as team leaders to begin putting
together this event.

Ineko will ask Dollar Tree which nonprofits they sponsor.

Social Activities

Yvonne announced that 18 people are signed up to attend the Josh Blue show
on Friday evening June 3 at Side Splitters comedy club.

She reported that our next event will be bowling at Pin Chasers on August 19
from 12:00 till 2:00. She said the management has been very accommodating,
and have dropped the price to $15 per person, which will include pizza.

A motion was made by Yvonne, seconded by Dan, to accept Jessica Cuddy as a
new member of the Tampa Bay chapter. The motion passed.

Paul Lewis won the 50/50 drawing, receiving $43.

Our next meeting will be held on June 18 at Beef O ' Brady's.

The meeting was adjourned at 1:35PM.

Respectfully submitted

Sherrill O'Brien, Secretary

Tampa Bay Chapter

National Federation of the Blind

Phone 813-935-0474, cell 813-767-1890

email Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net <mailto:Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net>

expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you bac