[NFBF-Tampa] sad news about one of our longtime chapter members

marion.gwizdala at verizon.net marion.gwizdala at verizon.net
Wed Feb 15 17:55:31 UTC 2023

Dear NFBF Family,

                Lloyd Mathews was the longest serving member of the Tampa
Bay Chapter, joining in 1988 shortly after the chapter was founded. Lloyd
was an electrical engineer with a fantastic sense of humor and a sensitive
kind heart. His Jamaican accent was recognizable even in the crowded room of
a national convention. I want to share two stories about Floyd. That is not
a misprint of his name either. I don't know where it came from except
someone in my circle - perhaps my ex-wife - always called him by the wrong
name and it became an inside joke within our chapter.

                My first story demonstrates Lloyd's ability to be
provocative in order to get people to think about their perspective. On a
trip to a state convention in Jacksonville which, I believe was around 1998
because I recall my daughter, Aislinn, would have been about 12 years old,
the topic of the death penalty came up. My daughter became involved in the
conversation and stated her strong opposition to the practice. Lloyd, in
spite of his mutual opposition, began presenting and argument contrary to
his opinion in an effort to playfully antagonize my daughter. The two of
them bantered back and forth for nearly 30 minutes! Lloyd often reminded me
of the banter, commenting on how much he enjoyed the banter and how
impressed he was with Aislinn's young intellect. He frequently asked about
Aislinn and was not surprised when I told him she was pursuing a Ph.D.!

                Around that same time, the Tampa Bay Chapter was producing a
public access television program for which we were nominated for the Golden
Cassette award. (A discussion of what a cassette is would be a topic for a
different post!) During one of our production sessions, we had some
technical difficulties. One of the staf said something like, "We need to get
someone from IT (Information Technology) to come and take a look at the CGI
(character generating interface)!" Lloyd replied, "I think what we need is a
BFH!" playing off the technician's use of acronyms. I remember Dan Hicks
nodding in agreement and saying "Yeah!" then adding, "What's a BFH?" Lloyd
replied, "A big f***ing hammer!"

                God speed, Lloyd Mathews!

In loving memory!

Marion Gwizdala