[NFBF-Tampa] Tampa Bay Chapter Meeting Minutes April 2023

Sherrill O'Brien sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Sat May 27 04:44:32 UTC 2023

Greetings all,

The April minutes are attached and also pasted below. Hopefully you'll see
them before our meeting, but at least they're in your inbox.

Warm regards

Sherrill

Tampa Bay Chapter

Chapter Meeting Minutes

April 22, 2023

The meeting was held via the Zoom platform only, and was called to order by
President Miranda Kilby at 12:15PM.

Everyone introduced themselves. There were  11 persons in attendance.

Miranda said the NFB pledge.

Secretary and Treasurer Reports

Sherrill gave a summary of our March meeting, which was held at Beef O'
Brady's. She is currently experiencing personal and technical challenges, so
did not send out the actual minutes.

Dan told us that Gloria had been having chest pains, and so she was
hospitalized and undergoing many tests. Miranda said that if anyone in the
chapter is having personal difficulties, she encouraged us to let her know
so the chapter can help out in whatever way possible.

Miranda gave the treasurer's report. Our current balance is $2,229.63.

A motion was made by Barbara, seconded by Sherrill, to accept the
treasurer's report as read. The motion passed.

President's Report

Miranda reported on the chapter meeting which was held via Zoom on Thursday,
April 20. Its purpose was to discuss plans to hold a fund raising chapter
event during Meet the Blind Month (now called Blindness Education and
Awareness Month( in conjunction with our state convention here in Tampa. At
that Thursday meeting, we decided that our fund raiser would be a concert
presented as much as possible by blind musicians.

Miranda encouraged everyone to show interest and support by calling into the
upcoming Sunday evening open state Board meeting at which she will submit a
proposal to this effect.

She also encouraged everyone to participate in next Wednesday's closed state
convention planning meeting. Miranda then summarized  last Thursday's
meeting. She said Marion will be in charge of the concert. Our goal is to
sell enough tickets to fill the two hotel ballrooms, which seat a total of
250 people. The cost of both rooms would be $1200.

We would like to price the tickets at $20 each, and perhaps have a group
rate of $15 for ten or more.

Miranda said we  will hold a silent auction and probably a 50/50 drawing in
conjunction with the concert.

We will look for a concert sponsor such as the local Lions Club District
35L.

Miranda will ask the state board to find out the hotel's cutoff date for us
to make the decision, and the Board will also communicate with the hotel on
their policies and costs for sound and lighting.

Barbara suggested we begin as soon as possible to hold fund raisers to get a
head start on covering our expenses so we aren't worrying about it at the
last minute.

State Convention

Miranda plans to put together a list of tasks to help involve our chapter
members in both the state convention and our fund raising concert. She also
asked for volunteers to call the local businesses we listed at our state
convention two years ago to check with  restaurants, grocery and drugstores,
and veterinarians.

We want to find out whether the contact information we have is the same or
needs updating.

We did not hold a 50/50 drawing this month.

Our next meeting will be held on May 27 at Beef O'Brady's.

The meeting was adjourned at 1:20PM.

Respectfully submitted

Sherrill O'Brien, Secretary

Tampa Bay Chapter

Phone 813-935-0474, cell 813-767-1890

email Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net <mailto:Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net>

expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you back.

-------------- next part --------------
 Tampa Bay Chapter
Chapter Meeting Minutes
April 22, 2023

The meeting was held via the Zoom platform only, and was called to order by President Miranda Kilby at 12:15PM.
Everyone introduced themselves. There were  11 persons in attendance.
Miranda said the NFB pledge.

Secretary and Treasurer Reports
Sherrill gave a summary of our March meeting, which was held at Beef O'Brady's. She is currently experiencing personal and technical difficulties, so did not send out the actual minutes.

Dan told us that Gloria had been having chest pains, and so she was hospitalized and undergoing many tests. Miranda said that if anyone in the chapter is having personal difficulties, she encouraged us to let her know so the chapter can help out in the best way possible.

email Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net

The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds you back.