[NFBF-Tampa] Lyft Responds to ASAP

marion.gwizdala at verizon.net marion.gwizdala at verizon.net
Tue Sep 19 15:05:01 UTC 2023

Lyft Responds to ASAP

Please circulate the following message as widely as appropriate.

                On September 18, Advocates for Service Animal Partners
(ASAP) mobilized our partners in response to an offensive YouTube video in
which a Lyft driver made offensive, disparaging remarks about those of us
who use service animals, encouraging other drivers to refuse to transport
us. This driver asserts that service animals stink, lick the backs of seats,
drool on the floor, and leave his vehicle so dirty it takes twenty minutes
to clean it. He asserts Lyft forces drivers to carry service animals which
"does not make good business sense", violating his right to free speech.

                Upon learning of this offensive diatribe encouraging ablest
drivers to pass by service animal handlers, we thought it might be a good
idea to let this driver know that what does not make "good business sense"
is defying Lyft's driver terms and conditions, not to mention violating
state and federal antidiscrimination laws. We contacted Lyft and demanded
the driver's account  be permanently deactivated and encouraged others to do
the same. Your advocacy seems to have made a difference!

Lyft has responded to ASAP and said, in part, "rest assured that we will
find the driver that was on that video and will take all the necessary
actions that we have in place." Lyft has asked to meet with Advocates for
Service Animal Partners' president/CEO, Marion Gwizdala, to further discuss
this video and create counter programming to ensure that drivers realize
that following this advice will result in the same decisive, permanent
deactivation of their accounts as this driver faced.

                Just because Lyft has responded is not a reason for us to
stand down. Lyft may say they want to resolve this issue while the pressure
is on for them to do so but may renege on their offer once the pressure
subsides. we are finding ourselves in a position to make real change and we
must keep the pressure on, as this is Lyft's incentive to follow through.

WHAT YOU CAN DO

Advocates for Service Animal Partners encourages you to continue contacting
Lyft and sending them the message that you expect them to comply with state
and federal law and their driver terms and conditions by permanently
deactivating this driver's profile and publicizing the deactivation as
widely as possible to demonstrate Lyft's commitment to providing full and
equal access to their vehicles by service animal handlers. You can submit
your complaint on the Lyft app or by calling (844) 554-1297. When you file
your complaint, be sure to give Lyft the URL below so they can see it for
themselves!

We also urge you to go to this driver's YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlcGCVuxORw

There you will be able to hear the ignorance for yourself. While you are
there, dislike the video, make your comments about how ignorant and
misinformed this driver is in the comment section, and report the video to
YouTube for inciting and encouraging illegal behavior.

Once you have filed your complaints, please let us know so we can have a
handle on our network's effectiveness. Please visit our website

https://www.ServiceAnimals.info

and click on "Become a Partner". There you will find a contact form to
complete. Please complete this form and let us know what you have done on
this front in the comments section. Not only will we know how our advocacy
efforts are working, we will be able to let the public know the force of the
service animal advocacy movement. In addition, you will be able to keep up
with all the invaluable work of Advocates for Service Animal Partners, the
only organization dedicated exclusively to securing, protecting, and
advancing the civil rights of those of us who use service animals.

                Finally, remember that Advocates for Service Animal Partners
offers the only 24-hour hotline for service animal resources and
information. Our advocates can assist you when you have an access issue,
offering guidance to navigate the issue, and mediate service animal access
denials. You can call the ASAP Service Animal Information & Resource Hotline
by calling 855-ASAP211 (855-272-7211). Let's move forward together!

                Advocates for Service Animal Partners is the only
organization in the United States supporting, protecting, and advancing the
civil rights of those of us who use service animals to live full, productive
lives. Continuing and expanding this work is essential! Please consider
supporting Advocates for Service Animal Partners by making a one-time or
recurring gift. Simply visit

https://www.Service Animals.info/Support Us

and complete the donation form. All donations are tax-deductible under IRS
501c(3). While on our site, please subscribe to our email newsletter.

Marion Gwizdala, President/CEO