[NFBF-Tampa] An Invitation to our Dress Rehearsal

danjhicks at gmail.com danjhicks at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 21:44:09 UTC 2023

Wow, Ineko, I believe your comments are way off-base. Our President and a few other of our chapter members have already responded to your statements, and I think done so quite accurately and artfully, and better than I can do.

However, I would just add that phrases like “white music” and “black music” are, at best, outdated, and at worst racist, depending on context.

Rock and roll would have never been born, had not a handful of generally white-owned radio stations began playing what were then called “race records” in the 1950s, and had not mostly white-owned record stores began to stock them for everyone to buy.

A couple of decades or so ago, I remember when the American Music Awards introduced nominees and winners in categories such as: “Favorite Black Male Vocalist,” “Favorite Black Single,” “Favorite Black Album,” etc. Well they stopped doing that because of massive feedback from members of the community of all racial heritages. It is one thing to try to classify music as Rock or Country or Jazz or Folk or Hip-Hop or Rap or Punk, etc., but there is simply no reason to dismiss any form of music, or any other art form for that matter, because of the creator’s skin color or heritage.

The concert is called Stronger Together and it is a fundraiser for the Tampa Bay Chapter of the NFBF.

The only other thing I would add is that I believe the greatest rock and roll guitarist ever was Jimi Hendrix, a black man. May he rest in peace.

Dan Hicks, Treasurer

Tampa Bay Chapter