[NFBJ] Jewish blind people's matters?

Ricky Lomey rickyl at iafrica.com
Wed Dec 22 22:03:50 UTC 2021

Hi

Perhaps I should have sent this first though not sure how to do an
introduction, on other lists I just mention my interests in, say, sports and
tech but I don't really talk about myself, am an introvert. I am B1 and
heard about NFBJ some years ago but couldn't find the list and answers to
the other questions despite Googling, so I eventually asked David Andrews if
there is a Judaism group, just some points please thanks.

1. I'm not on social media but seems the Jewish special needs list and
topica lists some people were on ceased years ago and Yahoogroups has ceased
period and I come across people on blind lists with Jewish sounding names
including the general NFB list but I don't feel comfortable mailing offlist
and asking identity questions, so, are there more ways to keep contact with
other Jewish blind and special needs people? Are there other lists like this
one where people not on this specific one come together with people from
this list and are there also many organisations and homes for the Jewish
blind around the world in addition to Israel as well and any other advocacy
organisations other than those providing literature and charity and what
about summer camps etc when there is no virus? I've always found it hard to
establish contact with other Jewish blind people and the special needs and
Topica groups were really a great resource. Any organisations doing tours
for the Jewish disabled anywhere, of course not now during the pandemic and
any for shidduchim?

2. In terms of the purpose of NFBJ, I wouldn't say I've experienced
discrimination to a great extent directly, only come across ignoramuses who
mean well but I have an article sent by a sighted man in Canada who
befriended some blind people and it concerns the experiences a non-Jewish
blind lady had in her church and he wanted to know about Jewish blind people
having similar issues, so may I please forward the article?

3. Anybody experienced problems with missionaries or Messianic, not sure if
they have braille though I'm sure they offer audio and large print.

4. I don't think I asked this on the other Jewish lists but have any of you
ever had any experiences with anti-Semitism among fellow blind and visually
impaired and other disabled people from the non-Jewish side?

5. Apart from or in addition to the JBI monthly periodicals which I receive
on MP3 CD via snail mail, are there other Jewish newspapers and magazines
and periodicals in audio format, either online or offline and do any of the
radio reading services offer Jewish content in some form or another as I
prefer listening to human readers though the immersive reader on the PC does
an ok job. I presume there is in Hebrew from Israel though my Hebrew isn't
so fluent and I know the Jewish Chronical and U.K. Jewish News are available
though not sure if I can subscribe from here and unfortunately the
Australian Jewish News audio is not accessible in any format, including
online, outside Australia, we each miss a qualification, my sister and
family are Australian citizens but are sighted and I'm not in Australia and
couldn't even lend while on vacation there, I'll have to check whether the
radio reading services there offer Jewish content at times as I've saved
many of these stations on my Blindshell from around the world among my
favourites on the internet radio.

Thanks and sorry for so many questions.

Ricky Lomey