[NFBJ] NFB In Judaism-Follow up and Next Steps

Stewart Prost sprost82 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 21:27:58 UTC 2022

Greetings everyone,
I hope that you are doing well and those of us who went to New Orleans
returned safely to our home and have recovered from the convention.  I
wanted to let everyone know that we had what I believe was the largest
attendance at our group ever with about 34 people attending both in person
and on zoom.  We had some good discussions and some good ideas came out of
the meeting.  Here I believe are some highlights:

   - Adonna Frankel did  research on getting items for a Shabat
   celebration.  However,  we did not get a good response in terms of how many
   people would attend.  I also never heard back regarding a room.  I think
   this is something we should plan for next year in Houston.  I think if we
   plan in the spring for our national convention, we can put something
   together and have it placed on the agenda.  I think we can come up with
   something really nice and special.
   - Here are some ideas that came out of our meeting that we can do during
   this coming year:
      - It was suggested that we contact the Jewish Braille institute
      ((JBI) to ta.k with them about more Braille production.  To that end,
      Michael Levy has given me the contact information for the person
there.  I
      will be inviting them to our next zoom call, perhaps in late
October after
      all the holidays.
      - Increased interaction between Jews who are blind or have low vision
      in the US and those english speaking Jews in Israel who are
blind and have
      low vision.  To that end, I will schedule future meetings earlier  in the
      day so that it is possible to have people from Israel join our meetings.
      - Micheal Levy will at some point in the future, talk about his
      organization,   Yad Hachazakah.
      - There was a question about learning Yiddish as a blind or low
      vision person.
      - Reaching out to UJA and other national organizations.
      - Having the Conservative and Reform movements pass resolutions
      regarding people who are blind and have other disabilities.
      - Having information from this group placed on NFB Newsline.

I hope that I have covered all of our discussion.  If I have forgotten
anything, please let me know.  Wishing everyone well.

Warm Regards,
Stewart Prost, Chair, NFB in Judaism
Phone: 757-572-6891
Email: sprost82 at gmail.com