[Nfbk] FW: [Chapter-presidents] Source for DVD's and Blu Ray Disks withDescriptive Video

Cathy cathyj at iglou.com
Wed May 5 20:13:35 UTC 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: chapter-presidents-bounces at nfbnet.org
[mailto:chapter-presidents-bounces at nfbnet.org]On Behalf Of David Andrews
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 12:35 AM
To: david.andrews at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Chapter-presidents] Source for DVD's and Blu Ray Disks
withDescriptive Video

  From: Mary Watkins [ mailto:mary_watkins at wgbh.org]
  Sent: Monday, May 03, 2010 2:20 PM
  To: Danielsen, Chris
  Subject: Hi Chris - New Resource

  I'm not sure if you saw this announcement yet, in case you didn't, here it
is.  We've been asked since the DVS Home Video effort ended for a one-stop
resource for locating described movies on DVD, and so now we've made one.
Please share far and wide as you see fit.

  Best,
  Mary
  ***

  WGBH's Media Access Group, home to the Descriptive Video Service (DVS®)
has debuted two new online resources today for fans of described movies.
Both can be reached via a new, easy-to-remember Web site address:
www.describedmovies.org

  1. DVS on DVD
  This page of our site has been updated to enable description fans to learn
about mainstream DVD and Blu-ray discs that are available with audio
description, and provides a Amazon click through option which takes you
directly to the page of amazon.com to order the disc. The DVD and Blu-ray
discs listed on the page are available wherever discs are sold (online and
in stores), however clicking through our site to purchase your movies will
provide the Media Access Group with a small percentage of the sales revenue,
and helps support our efforts.

  (The hit comedy It's Complicated from Universal Pictures Home
Entertainment, starring Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin is the
most recent movie released on DVD and Blu-ray with description.)

  2. Full List of DVS Movies
  This page lists every movie we've described for television, cable, DVS
Home Video and DVS Theatrical (for movie theaters) since DVS debuted as a
service in 1990.  We're at nearly 800 films!  The list is sortable by movie
title or distributor (the company for which we originally described the
film). Ask for described versions of movies from your television, cable or
satellite provider, from movies by mail services and from Web sites which
offer streaming or downloadable movies.

  As always, www.mopix.org takes you to information about movies offered
with description in theaters equipped with Motion Picture Access systems.
And try www.captionfish.com ­ you can type in your zip code, set the search
filter for DVS and find the equipped theaters, described movies and
accessible showtimes near you.

  We like hearing from you, so please let us know what you think, and if you
have suggestions for making our pages more helpful.

  Thank you.

  The Media Access Group at WGBH
  Boston – Los Angeles
  access.wgbh.org