[Nfbk] NFB Philosophy

slerythema slerythema at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 07:42:50 UTC 2011

I hate to say it, and I mean this whole heartedly because I wear a medical
bracelet (not for blindness), that only a paramedic will actively look at
the bracelet. Hospital staff do not. I have a drug allergy that will
probably be fatal if I take it again. Numerous times I tell hospital staff
when being admitted or in the ER. Only half of the time will they put an
allergy band on me.

As for notifying them that you are blind, apparently this tends to go in one
ear and out the other. Before my great aunt passed away, she was in and out
of the hospital. She is also a diabetic so was not always very coherent. The
staff kept saying that she wouldn't eat by herself and wasn't drinking. They
would hold things out in front of her and then put them down on the table
like she didn't want them. We told them she was blind and you couldn't just
sit something around without making sure she knew where it was. Three
different times we visited her and had to tell them she was blind.
Supposedly, they were writing it in her chart each time we told them.

I have had procedures done at the hospital where I explained to them that I
was blind and extremely sensitive to light. Apparently, in medical school
those are not definitions that are covered. Most times, when coming out of
anthesia the nurses just cannot get it through their head that I am not
going to open my eyes unless you give me my dark glasses.

Now granted, I don't really care for the whole sign over the bed thing,
because it just might not make a difference, but I really hate when they put
things "over there" or "right here" on a table you can't see.

I do have to say that I have also had good experiences in the hospital. So
far, radiology has been pretty good. They don't take my cane before hand and
wait until after I am on the table or chair and then usually saying I am
going to put on this wall. Then after the x-ray, they say let me get your
cane. The MRI techs usually have me leave my cane with whomever came with me
and then offer their arm to take me to the table (about ten feet away from
the chairs and through a door).

Cindy