[Nfbk] Accumulate Knowledge and Move Forward

Joey Couch ki4vjd at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 20:31:32 UTC 2012

"Accumulate Knowledge and Move Forward"

A little bit of living teaches us that we often learn more from our
setbacks than we do from our successes. Not long ago, Dr. Benjamin
Carson, noted professor at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine,
encouraged university students to learn from the past. He pointed out
that heart transplants, kidney transplants, and other such surgeries,
in the early years, often failed.

“By continuing to accumulate knowledge from those failures,” he
explained, “we are able to do those things quite routinely today. And
that’s a general principle about life. Learning from mistakes,
learning from things that didn’t work, not only on an individual basis
but on a national basis, there have been things we’ve done that have
been wrong . . . , but we have learned from those things and made
progress.”

For a moment, ponder your own life or the lives of those you know. In
many cases, you will find that we learn just as much from our trials
as we do from our triumphs—perhaps more. We learn how to persevere,
how to get up, “dust ourselves off,” and try again. Think of all the
growth, achievement, and learning that can come by continuing to
“accumulate knowledge,” by sustained effort, by a willingness to stay
the course of life.

Sometimes success is right around the corner; we need only stay on the
path a little longer, turn the corners that present themselves, and
persist. If success doesn’t always come, then learning and growth can.
And that in itself is great success.

Strong nations, vibrant communities, and wise individuals very often
share one common trait: they are resilient. They learn from the past,
grow from their setbacks and mistakes, and move forward with a resolve
to make things better.

--
Joey Couch
phone 606-216-8033.