[Nfbk] SB 87

Cathy cathyj at iglou.com
Wed Feb 15 20:41:54 UTC 2012

Good Afternoon,

There were about 20 of us present during the Senate Committee on Natural
Resources and Energy meeting this morning in Frankfort. A discussion on SB
87 The Accessible Electronic Information Services Bill took place. Pamela
and John Glisson did an excellent job of explaining the bill and its
importance to the blind and print impaired of the state. Senator Alice Kerr
is the sponsor of the bill and she also spoke to her colleges on the
committee to ask for their support. I was happy to be able to speak briefly
about the National Federation of the Blind and our Kentucky Affiliate. We
are hearing positive comments about the passage of SB 87. We appreciate that
the Office for the Blind has been funding NEWSLINE since 2004, but it is
time that we receive permanent funding from the Public Service Commission,
the same funding source that supports the TTD line for the deaf and hearing
impaired. We need to continue calling and leaving our messages for the
Natural Resources and Energy Committee asking them to support SB 87. The
toll-free number is 1-800-372-7181. When the operator answers just simply
have him/her leave a message for the entire committee to urge passage of SB
87. It isn't too early to begin educating the entire House about this issue.
Any contact that you can make with your local legislators will be helpful.
If they need any additional information just let us know and we can
certainly oblige. Thanks to all of you who made the trip to Frankfort today.