[Nfbk] FW: [BEP State Directors] Urgent: Action Required on LaTourette Commercialization Amendment

George Stokes kd4ckt at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 23 13:03:14 UTC 2012

From: Nesbitt, Richard (OFB-FK) [mailto:Richard.Nesbitt at ky.gov]
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:22 AM
To: George Stokes; Shirley, Patrick B (Education Cabinet); Kennedy, Jack B
(OFB-FK)
Subject: FW: [BEP State Directors] Urgent: Action Required on LaTourette
Commercialization Amendment

We all need to watch this one.

From: bep_state_directors-owner at ncsab.org
[mailto:bep_state_directors-owner at ncsab.org] On Behalf Of Sean Whalen
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:32 PM
To: mjones at okdrs.gov; Barbara.J.Madrigal at dars.state.tx.us;
Bettye.Odem-Davis at illinois.gov; bfinn at ed.state.nh.us; Bgibson at utah.gov;
Brian.sigman at ct.gov; ddenotaris at pa.gov; Greg.Trapp at state.nm.us;
jxavier at dor.ca.gov; Karen.Keninger at blind.state.ia.us;
Katy.Morris at arkansas.gov; lgrupen at dhs.hawaii.gov; Linda.mock at state.or.us;
loudurand at dsb.wa.gov; cannonp at Michigan.gov; Pearl.vanzandt at nebraska.gov;
Ray.Hopkins at dbvi.virginia.gov; rita.houston at rehab.alabama.gov;
Robert.Doyle at state.de.us; sschaffer at dors.state.md.us;
vito.desantis at dhs.state.nj.us; fschroeder at sks.com;
bep_state_directors at ncsab.org
Commercialization Amendment

Dear NCSAB members:

It is our understanding that Congressman LaTourette's office is still
working on drafting his rest area commercialization amendment, however, we
have not yet seen any final language. The most recent version we have seen
would allow commercialization, but only on non-interstate federal highways.
Through conversations with many state agencies, we have confirmed that such
an amendment would still have a devastating impact on Randolph-Sheppard
programs in many states.

We need blind entrepreneurs to reengage and reach out once again to their
Members of Congress to express opposition to this amendment. The
organization of state departments of Transportation will be on the Hill next
week lobbying in support of commercialization, so it is vital that we once
again communicate our opposition to this amendment and let Members of
Congress know that blind entrepreneurs oppose the commercialization of rest
areas.

Please share this alert with your elected committees of blind vendors, as
well as the consumer organizations in your states.

Now is the time to call Representatives and tell them to vote "no" on the
LaTourette amendment to H.R. 7, which would shut down small businesses owned
and managed by blind entrepreneurs.

You can reach your Member of Congress by calling (202) 225-3121 and asking
to be connected to his or her office.

Thank you for your continued efforts to protect highway vending
opportunities for the blind.

Sean Whalen

Policy Associate

Linchpin Strategies, LLC