[Nfbk] Career Opportunity for the Blind

Joey Couch ki4vjd at gmail.com
Mon May 7 16:41:44 UTC 2012

From: "Wright, Jennifer (OFB-FK)"
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 11:43:31 -0400
Subject: FW: Career Opportunity for the Blind

The hope of finding meaningful employment and a satisfying career is a
reality for many of the alumni of the School of Piano Technology for
the Blind in Vancouver, WA.  The words of one of our recent graduates
best tell our story.

"My working career was suffering.  My vision was failing, and my own
sense of purpose was being challenged.  I had walked away from one job
that I was not enjoying only to get fired from another job, which was
even more difficult.  I believe it was because of my poor vision.  It
was at this point in my life when my husband suggested to me the
possibility of a career tuning pianos.  In the midst of my floundering
sense of what am I going to do with the rest of my life, this was a
bright possibility." "Since making the decision to invest the rest of
my life in piano technology, I have never once looked back.   I am
equipped to run my own business, make the kind of money I've always
hoped to make, and be in charge of my own schedule.  What continues to
bless me is the fact that the help of the staff of the Piano Hospital
is ongoing.  I have put in, and will continue to put in calls of help,
calls for advice and calls of thank-you to the people who started me
in this career.  I am now 2 ½ years into being an independent
entrepreneur.  The sky is the limit for me.  The only thing that is
going to hold me back now is me."

The School of Piano Technology for the Blind is the only school in the
world offering a two year certificate in piano technology for blind
and low vision individuals.  We are a small school, but we are do big
things - we change lives!  Piano technology has been a rewarding
profession for blind people for over 200 years and remains a viable
career for blind and low vision individuals today. Piano technology is
a field which continues to see growth. With over seventeen million
pianos in the United States and 4,173 technicians there are enough
pianos to keep everyone busy and profitable.

In addition to learning to tune and repair pianos, students learn the
basics of running their own piano service business including
developing a business plan, sales, marketing, accounting and customer
service.  Individualized instruction by qualified blind instructors
has resulted in excellent learning outcomes since 1949.  Over 70% of
our graduates are employed in the field, many as owner-operators of
their own business, in music stores, recording studios, and school
districts.

How can you help?  Please let everyone you know interested in a
successful, independent career about our school.  All of our
candidates are required to attend a two day career evaluation workshop
to assess their interest, ability and aptitude for a career in piano
technology.  Please contact us for our career workshops for our
September term.  Staff and volunteers from the School of Piano
Technology for the Blind will provide assistance and support in
coordinating travel and logistical arrangements to prospective
students.

Thank you for your assistance in passing along our name to your
clients.  Despite a belief by some vocational rehabilitation
counselors that piano technology is passé, I want to reassure you that
in reality it is an exciting opportunity to anyone - blind or sighted
- seeking an independent, successful career.  And, as I am constantly
reminded "perfect pitch and the ability to play the piano" is not a
requirement to be a piano technician.  If you have any questions
please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Jeff Lann

Executive Director

School of Piano Technology for the Blind

360-693-1511

jefflann at pianotuningschool.org

--
Joey Couch