[Nfbk] FW: Career Opportunity for the Blind

George Stokes kd4ckt at bellsouth.net
Mon May 7 18:57:31 UTC 2012

From: Wright, Jennifer (OFB-FK) [mailto:JenniferN.Wright at ky.gov]
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2012 11:44 AM
To: Smith, Chris H (OFB-FK); Jessee, Allison F (OFB-FK); Ann Smits; Becky
Cabe; Bess Douthitt; Bill Deatherage; Monterosso, Bill (OETCO-FK); Cathy
Jackson; McNabb, Cora L (OFB-FK); David Lawson; Don Gerard; George Stokes;
Gordon-Brown, Gerry (CAP-FK); Gerry Rader Slusher; Jim Shaw;
ki4vjd at gmail.com; Kay Mathis; Kim Zeigler; Michael Freeholm; Dahmke, Mitch;
Shirley, Patrick B (Education Cabinet); Paul Wiese; Paula Wiese ; Nesbitt,
Richard (OFB-FK); Roger Schaf; Sharon Fields; Sharon Fields (Home);
Matthews, Soraya - Division of Learning Services; Deeley, Stephen P
(OFB-LV); Susan Ament; Hammons, Twyla S (OFB-SS)
Subject: FW: Career Opportunity for the Blind

The hope of finding meaningful employment and a satisfying career is a
reality for many of the alumni of the School of Piano Technology for the
Blind in Vancouver, WA.  The words of one of our recent graduates best tell
our story.

“My working career was suffering.  My vision was failing, and my own sense
of purpose was being challenged.  I had walked away from one job that I was
not enjoying only to get fired from another job, which was even more
difficult.  I believe it was because of my poor vision.  It was at this
point in my life when my husband suggested to me the possibility of a career
tuning pianos.  In the midst of my floundering sense of what am I going to
do with the rest of my life, this was a bright possibility.” ”Since making
the decision to invest the rest of my life in piano technology, I have never
once looked back.   I am equipped to run my own business, make the kind of
money I’ve always hoped to make, and be in charge of my own schedule.  What
continues to bless me is the fact that the help of the staff of the Piano
Hospital is ongoing.  I have put in, and will continue to put in calls of
help, calls for advice and calls of thank-you to the people who started me
in this career.  I am now 2 ½ years into being an independent entrepreneur.
The sky is the limit for me.  The only thing that is going to hold me back
now is me.”

The School of Piano Technology for the Blind is the only school in the world
offering a two year certificate in piano technology for blind and low vision
individuals.  We are a small school, but we are do big things – we change
lives!  Piano technology has been a rewarding profession for blind people
for over 200 years and remains a viable career for blind and low vision
individuals today. Piano technology is a field which continues to see
growth. With over seventeen million pianos in the United States and 4,173
technicians there are enough pianos to keep everyone busy and profitable.

In addition to learning to tune and repair pianos, students learn the basics
of running their own piano service business including developing a business
plan, sales, marketing, accounting and customer service.  Individualized
instruction by qualified blind instructors has resulted in excellent
learning outcomes since 1949.  Over 70% of our graduates are employed in the
field, many as owner-operators of their own business, in music stores,
recording studios, and school districts.

How can you help?  Please let everyone you know interested in a successful,
independent career about our school.  All of our candidates are required to
attend a two day career evaluation workshop to assess their interest,
ability and aptitude for a career in piano technology.  Please contact us
for our career workshops for our September term.  Staff and volunteers from
the School of Piano Technology for the Blind will provide assistance and
support in coordinating travel and logistical arrangements to prospective
students.

Thank you for your assistance in passing along our name to your clients.
Despite a belief by some vocational rehabilitation counselors that piano
technology is passé, I want to reassure you that in reality it is an
exciting opportunity to anyone - blind or sighted - seeking an independent,
successful career.  And, as I am constantly reminded “perfect pitch and the
ability to play the piano” is not a requirement to be a piano technician.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Jeff Lann

Executive Director

School of Piano Technology for the Blind

360-693-1511

jefflann at pianotuningschool.org