[Nfbk] PBS Vider,

Cathy Jackson cathyj1949 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 17:47:05 UTC 2013

Hey Gang,
Melanie I watched the video. At first I wasn't sure where he was going, but overall I understand him. I get what he is saying about seeing the mountain one rock at a time. Blind people can't see a mountain in its entirety. I am not quite sure what he is trying to say about reading Braille one letter at a time. The really good Braille readers I know see the word as a whole just like we do in print. His description of poverty is good. He is also using the sounds and smells around him as clues to where he is going. I am glad for him that his parents were supportive, but I can't understand why parents don't tell their kids they are blind. I always knew from as early as I can remember that my vision wasn't any where close to normal and that I was blind in one eye. My parent's made adaptions for me so I could play ball and read, which was part of life around our house but I knew I was blind. What do the rest of you think?