[Nfbk] audio description

slery slerythema at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 23:26:26 UTC 2016

I know in the past that the NFB's position on audio description is that it
is not a right but a convenience. I personally was neither for or against
this position but greatly appreciated having the description when it was
available.

However, I now find myself in the position where characters are interacting
back and forth with text messages on a phone. Sometimes the show will
actually zoom in to the conversation and if I walked up to the tv I "might"
be able to read it but probably not fast enough. But most of the shows I am
currently watching simply have the camera look over the person's shoulder.
And the worst part is that a whole conversation can happen in these text
messages and at the end of the show it is obvious something important took
place in that conversation but I have no idea what it is.

Just wondering if NFB has considered revising their position or at least
taking a look at it again. Because the BIGGEST problem is not having access
to audio description that is already provided. I have NEVER been able to get
the description from insight/twc.

Cindy S.