[Nfbk] 2016 NFB of Kentucky Academic Scholarship Announcement

Lora J Felty lorafelty at windstream.net
Tue Mar 22 20:29:47 UTC 2016

The National Federation of the Blind of Kentucky is now accepting
scholarship applications for our 2016 scholarship program.  You can find the
scholarship application on our web site at www.nfbofky.org.  Click on the
Scholarships link to find information about the scholarships and the on-line
application.  The deadline for receiving applications is July 15, 2016.

Below, you will see the specific criteria for our various scholarships.  If
you are a post-secondary student, we encourage you to apply for our
scholarship program.  If you are not in post-secondary study, we ask that
you share information regarding our scholarships to individuals who may be
eligible.

NFB of Kentucky Scholarship Awards and Honors

Emerson Foulke Memorial Scholarship

This scholarship in the amount of $1,000 is presented by the NFB of Kentucky
in honor of Emerson Foulke.  Emerson was a long time Federationist.  In his
career he worked as a professor of psychology at the University of
Louisville, where he served as director of the Perceptual alternatives lab.
He conducted countless research projects dealing with all aspects of
perception.  This scholarship will be presented to an individual studying
for a degree in psychology, science, research, technology or
education/teaching.

Betty J. Niceley Memorial Scholarship

This scholarship in the amount of $1,000 is awarded by the NFB of Kentucky
in memory of Betty J. Niceley, long time president of the NFB of Kentucky.
Betty worked for many years at the Kentucky Department for the Blind.  She
served as president of NAPUB (National Association to Promote the Use of
Braille) and served on the BANA (Braille Authority of North America) board.
Braille was near and dear to Betty's heart.  Throughout her life, she was a
tremendous advocate for Braille.  This scholarship will be awarded to an
individual who reads Braille and finds it an essential part of his/her daily
life.

Charles and Betty Allen Scholarships

These scholarships in the amount of $1,000 are endowed by Charles and Betty
Allen, long time members of the Frankfort Chapter of the NFB of Kentucky.
Charles Allen has served in various leadership positions on both a state and
national level, and his wife, Betty has been by his side to support all of
the work of the NFB.  In order to be eligible for this scholarship, an
individual must be a resident of Kentucky and a member of the National
Federation of the Blind of Kentucky.  The applicant must be recommended by a
fellow member of the NFB of Kentucky.  Individuals receiving this
scholarship must have a grade point average of at least 3.0 and must provide
proof of enrollment in a full-time college or university program.  Priority
will be given to any applicants who are totally blind.

NFB of Kentucky Scholarships

NFB of Kentucky scholarships in the amount of $1,000 and/or $500 may also be
awarded to deserving candidates.  These scholarships may be awarded to
either full time or part time students who meet the criteria set forth below
in the general eligibility criteria section.

General Eligibility Criteria:

1.	All applicants must be either legally blind or visually impaired
and/or eligible to receive services from the Kentucky Office for the Blind.
Proof of legal blindness or a statement of eligibility from the Kentucky
Office for the Blind must be provided as documentation.
2.	Students receiving scholarships must attend an accredited college,
university or on-line program.
3.	Applicants must reside in Kentucky and/or attend a post-secondary
school in Kentucky.  Students who participate in on-line programs based in
Kentucky, but do not have any physical ties to Kentucky, i.e. are not
physically in Kentucky, are not eligible to apply for these scholarships.
4.	Scholarship finalists must attend and participate in all activities
at the annual state convention of the National Federation of the Blind of
Kentucky.  The NFB of Kentucky state convention takes place annually during
a weekend in late September or early October.  Convention expenses are
covered as a part of the scholarship program.  .  Scholarship winners will
be chosen during the annual state convention.  Information in regards to
convention date and location is forthcoming.

Please visit our website for more information about our NFB of Kentucky
academic scholarship program.  Please note that the deadline to submit
applications and supporting documentation is July 15, 2016.