[Nfbk] URGENT: Please call your legislators TODAY

Corbb O'Connor corbb at rushpost.com
Thu Mar 24 15:43:55 UTC 2016

Good morning.

On behalf of Cathy and the Legislative Committee, I share the following:

As many of you know, the Senate passed their budget yesterday, and it’s not good news for the blind of Kentucky. I have included an e-mail below from Allison Flanagan listing the budget appropriations for the past few years, this current fiscal year, and the next biennium (by chamber). She also does a great job explaining the legislative process moving forward.

We are asking you to please call your legislators TODAY and leave TWO separate messages (that is, leave one message; then hang up and leave another message).

1. If the Senate budget amounts are approved by the House and signed by the Governor, Kentucky’s Office for the Blind will be short more than $900,000 for each year ($918,300 in 2017 and $914,400 in 2018). If this cut happens, Kentucky will send back more than $3.4 million each year to the federal government that could have helped blind Kentuckians get back to work, and these funds can then be used by other states.
	Furthermore, Kentucky’s Accessible Electronic Information Service (also known as NFB-NEWSLINE®) will see a reduction in service and outreach if these amounts stand.
	So, we are asking that legislators restore the full amount requested by the Office for the Blind so as to maximize our ability to draw down federal funds to help blind Kentuckians get off government benefits and become contributing taxpayers.

2. On your second call, ensure that your legislators understand that while funding for Visually Impaired Preschool Services (VIPS) was restored in the House budget, it was zeroed-out in the Senate plan. This will mean that blind children will lose crucial services that help to ensure that they don’t fall behind their development milestones. We wouldn’t want our children to stop learning to read and write, yet this is exactly what a budget cut would do to blind children.

Again, please make sure to leave two separate messages on these issues so as not to confuse our legislators. I talked with Jimmy Higdon this morning, and even he thought OFB, the School for the Blind, the accessible electronic information service, and NFB were all one budget item! Let’s not confuse our friends in Frankfort!

Thank you for your assistance. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to call me at 703-309-4884.

Corbb O’Connor