[Nfbk] Braille Readers Theater Auditions.

Nickie Pearl njp at twc.com
Mon Nov 12 21:08:41 UTC 2018

Hello Museum Friends,

Auditions for our Braille Readers Theater production of Charlotte’s Web, to be presented March 14-16, 2019, will be held December 6-8.

Please know that we are always seeking new members, and that you don’t have to be a fluid braille reader to take part.  Our actors also use audio feeds and scripts in large print. We have a lot of fun in rehearsals, and then we have the joy of presenting a polished piece to the audience.

Here’s more information. Could you please also pass it on to anyone you think might be interested?

MUSEUM TO HOLD AUDITIONS FOR BRAILLE READER’S THEATER PRODUCTION OF CHARLOTTE’S WEB

The Museum of the American Printing House for the Blind will hold auditions for the Braille Readers Theater production of Charlotte’s Web, to be presented March 14-16, 2019.

Auditions will take place in the Museum Reception Room at 1839 Frankfort Avenue between the hours of 1:00 and 3:00 pm on Thursday December 6; between the hours of 11:00 am and 1:00 pm on Friday, December 7; and between the hours of 1:00 and 3:00 pm on Saturday, December 8.

Charlotte’s Web is based on the classic children’s book by E.B. White. It begins when a soft-hearted farm girl named Fern interferes with her father’s plan to turn a scrawny piglet named Wilbur into pork chops. As Wilbur grows and begins to cost his owners a fortune in feed, it takes the help of all his farmyard friends to save his life again, including a silly goose, a moody sheep, a selfish rat, and the miraculous talents of a very special spider named Charlotte. This heart-warming tale of friendship, selflessness, and the circle of life will enchant audiences of all ages.

Reader's theater is often defined by what it doesn’t involve -- no memorizing, minimal props and costuming, and limited sets. However, the actors use intonation and gestures appropriate for their
Auditions consist of cold readings, in braille, from the script. Auditioners should plan to attend only one audition. They may come at any time during the two-hour audition period and be prepared to spend about 20 minutes.

Children’s parts of Fern, Avery, Wilbur, and the lamb have already been cast.  Parts for adults and teens are as follows:

·       John Arable -- a farmer, and Fern’s father
·       Martha Arable -- Fern’s mother
·       Homer Zuckerman -- a farm, Fern’s uncle
·       Edith Zuckerman -- Fern’s aunt
·       Lurvy -- a hired hand
·       Templeton -- a rat
·       Charlotte -- a spider
·       Goose, Gander, Sheep, Lamb -- farm animals
·       Various extras – reporter, photographer, spectators, judges, fairgoers, announcer

This is the eighth season for the Museum’s Braille Readers Theater.  Past productions have included Much Ado About Nothing, The Miracle Worker, Moliere’s the Doctor In Spite of Himself, and The Mousetrap.

The cast will meet for a read-through shortly after parts are assigned. Rehearsals will take place beginning in the middle of January.  For more information, contact Katie Carpenter at kcarpenter at aph.org or 502-899-2213.

Katie Fraser Carpenter
Museum Educator
502.899.2213
1839 Frankfort Avenue • Louisville, KY 40206
aph.org/museum • info at aph.org

Respectfully,
Nickie Pearl
502-489-4457