[NFBK] Fwd: [State-Affiliate-Leadership-List] National Federation of the Blind to Make Transportation Available to Blind Americans for Essential Services through Lyft during COVID-19

Cathy Jackson cathyj1949 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 16:31:32 UTC 2020

Hello,
Read how Lyft is helping blind people continue to need our transportation
needs during these covid-19 tunes.
Cathy

to Make Transportation Available to Blind Americans for Essential Services
through Lyft during COVID-19
To: NCB Staff <NCBStaff at nfb.org>, State Affiliate Leadership List <
state-affiliate-leadership-list at nfbnet.org>, nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org
<nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org>
CC: Danielsen, Chris <CDanielsen at nfb.org>

*FOR RELEASE: April 23, 2020*

Contact:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org

*National **Federation of the Blind to Make Transportation Available to
Blind Americans for Essential Services through Lyft during COVID-19*

Blind Americans Will Receive Lyft Ride Credits to Buy Essentials and More

*Baltimore, Maryland (April 23, 2020): *The National Federation of the
Blind, as part of its ongoing efforts to protect and connect blind
Americans during the coronavirus pandemic, has partnered with Lyft to
provide access to transportation for blind people by distributing Lyft
discount codes through its affiliates. The partnership is a LyftUp
<https://www.lyft.com/blog/posts/supporting-our-community> initiative,
Lyft’s comprehensive effort to expand transportation access to those who
need it most. In response to the COVID-19 crisis, Lyft has activated more
than 500 partners through LyftUp. This includes efforts
<https://www.lyft.com/blog/posts/supporting-our-community> in collaboration
with public health entities, local governments, nonprofits, and community
organizations to create new opportunities for drivers, provide rides to
those in need, and help distribute essential goods during the COVID-19
situation.

“Access to affordable, reliable transportation is always critical for blind
people, but particularly at this time, since public transportation and
paratransit services are being scaled back to stop the spread of the
coronavirus,” said Mark Riccobono, President of the National Federation of
the Blind. “Partnering with Lyft is one way in which the National Federation
of the Blind is protecting and connecting blind people by facilitating
essential travel to purchase food, medicine, and other crucial goods and
services that we and our families need. We commend Lyft and its driver
community for collaborating with us to make this possible.”

“We want to increase access to transportation for those who need it,
particularly to meet their essential needs during this time. By activating
LyftUp, we’re able to partner with the National Federation of the Blind to
fill mobility needs so that blind people can connect with essential
services,” said Lisa Boyd, Director of Social Impact, Lyft. “We’re also
grateful to all those who drive with Lyft for helping provide rides for
those in need. Lyft will be supporting drivers by creating new
opportunities to help them earn additional income through the Lyft app and
continuously working to protect their safety.”

To make sure riders and drivers know the best ways to protect themselves
and those around them, Lyft is providing continuous updates
<https://www.lyft.com/safety/coronavirus/#driver>. To learn more about how
else Lyft is supporting its community during this time, visit its blog.
<https://www.lyft.com/blog/posts/supporting-our-community>
<https://www.lyft.com/blog/posts/supporting-our-community>
<https://www.lyft.com/blog/posts/supporting-our-community>*About Lyft*
Lyft was founded in 2012 by Logan Green and John Zimmer to improve people’s
lives with the world’s best transportation and is available to 95 percent
of the United States population as well as select cities in Canada. Lyft is
committed to effecting positive change for our cities and making cities
more livable for everyone through initiatives that bridge transportation
gaps, and by promoting transportation equity through shared rides,
bikeshare systems, electric scooters, and public transit partnerships.

*About the National Federation of the Blind *

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB), headquartered in Baltimore, is
the oldest and largest nationwide organization of blind Americans. Founded
in 1940, the NFB consists of affiliates, chapters, and divisions in the
fifty states, Washington DC, and Puerto Rico. The NFB defends the rights of
blind people of all ages and provides information and support to families
with blind children, older Americans who are losing vision, and more. We
believe in the hopes and dreams of blind people and work together to
transform them into reality. Learn more about our many programs and
initiatives at www.nfb.org.

###

This release is also available at:
https://www.nfb.org/about-us/press-room/national-federation-blind-make-transportation-available-blind-americans

Christopher S. Danielsen, J.D.

Director of Public Relations

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/200+East+Wells+Street,+Baltimore,+MD+21230?entry=gmail&source=g>

(410) 659-9314, Ext. 2330 | cdanielsen at nfb.org

Twitter: @rlawyer

[image: National Federation of the Blind] <https://nfb.org/>

                         [image: Facebook]
<http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>    [image: Twitter]
<https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>    [image: Youtube]
<https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we
work together to help blind people live the lives they want.

State-Affiliate-Leadership-List:
http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/state-affiliate-leadership-list_nfbnet.org/cathyj1949%40gmail.com