[NFBK] I would like to hear other's opinions

slerythema at gmail.com slerythema at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 06:30:58 UTC 2020

Thank you for responding, Cathy. Just to be clear, the email mentioned something about all the “talk” lately so I assumed there was some catalyst that precipitated the need for sending out the email. It very well could have just been an “everyone else is doing it situation” just like we all started receiving COVID-19 response letters from everyone known to man. Also, I definitely was NOT questioning the need for a code of conduct. I was pointing out that it is time for ALL organizations, et al, to stop including the sentence I pointed out. If you drop that, then it is a sound policy. It does not affect the organizations outlined policy of conduct to give them credence when needing to expel a member. It is strictly about giving a loop hole for an organization to “hide” or “not report” an incident. The world is changing. Men have ruled the world predominately for a very long time and used things like this to keep women silent (and men under them) silent. The #MeToo movement is all about people that have been silenced in the very manner that this line in the code of conduct allows.

Isn’t it time to take that line out?

I am still proud to be an NFB member and I have personally seen how this particular line was used at universities and churches to keep victims silent and I want the NFB to no longer have anything to tie them with these types of cases.

Cindy