[NFBK] White cane day event at the McDonald center.

Melanie Peskoe melaniepeskoe at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 16:47:45 UTC 2023

Hello NFBK!
Yesterday I attended a really great white cane day event at the Charles McDowell center here in Louisville. The day started
 with a wonderful presentation from Erin Sigmund of APH. She gave a really great history of the long white cane and all its variations. She even brought several canes from different eras for us to check out. It was really neat to get my hands on a wooden cane from the early 1900s.

From 11 to 12 there were several exhibitors that were set up outdoors in front of the McDowell center. Some of the exhibitors were the Kentucky school for the blind charitable foundation, the Carl Perkins program, Kentucky business enterprises, Accessible Pharmacy with yours truly haha, Bennett and Bloom eye centers, a truly talented crocheter (who was not yours truly! Haha) and APH of course.

A great cookout lunch was provided and there was lots of time to hang out and connect with people, staff, and friends, both old and new. Lastly, the day was capped off with yard games like jumbo connect four, yard size, Jenga, and beeping cornhole.

Kudos to all of the McDowell center staff who put this together and in very short order as well! It was a lot of fun.

Kind regards,
Melanie