[Nfbktad] Still Trying to figure out NVDA

slery slerythema at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 08:36:14 UTC 2013

April,

I think, from reading your emails, that you will continue to have problems
until you learn to touch type. Unfortunately, in today's education
environment, they do not teach this skill any more. Keyboarding now means
that you simply learn what the keys on the keyboard do and not how to be
efficient. Touch typing is the only way you will ever make progress with
your screen reader.

APH has a talking typer program for the computer that will teach you how to
touch type audibly. Many of their products are of the finest quality and
they are especially skilled at education products. Talking Typer is probably
the best for what you need and it is $89. If that is still out of your price
range, they also have Learn Keys: Verbal Keyboard Feedback for $14.95.

Whether you memorize keyboard short-cuts, or learn to navigate menus with
the keyboard (like a sighted person using a mouse) you HAVE to know how to
touch type. There really is no way around this skill.

I hope this helped you at least some. Please do not lose heart. It is a
tough struggle but I am sure you can do it with the encouragement you will
find on this list.

Cindy Sheets