[Nfbktad] Touch typing and keyboard

April Brown aprilbrownwrite at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 11:26:24 UTC 2013

Thanks for the suggestion to take touch typing.

I did that a quarter of a century ago on the old typewriters.  It was
nightmare.  I was promised my typing speed would go from 40 words a minute
to 100 words a minute.  It changed all right.  Down to 10 words a minute,
and ten times as many errors.

After about 15 years, I'm back up to 20 words a minute.  I'll never be able
to type as fast, or as accurate, as I did at 16 before touch typing class.

One thing I know about all the keyboards I use - they move constantly.  They
slide constantly.  The back end is almost never high enough, even with a
board under the legs to raise it up.  I have watched myself type the letters
in the correct order, heard the buttons go down, and spring back up, and the
letters either not appear on the screen, or appear in the wrong order.

I do know, when I am writing, even though my eyes face they keyboard, my
vision does fade out, and I don't see either the screen, or the keyboard.
Sometimes, I find myself typing a line too high.  Typing numbers instead of
letters.  If I am not watching the keyboard, I have no idea where my fingers
are.  And I can't predict the bounces it will take.  As I type this, the
left side has bounced back about two inches three times already.  I keep
having to adjust where it sits on the keyboard tray.

The thought of having to type without my partial eye is nerve wracking.
Especially after a few years ago when Dragon offered to uninstall Windows.
How will I know what crazy thing the keyboard has decided to type instead of
what I told it too?  I don't want it to delete a program when I am trying to
open it.

April Brown

Writing dramatic adventure novels uncovering the myths we hide behind.

---