[Nfbktad] FW: [Nfbk] Important: Please Read: Jaws Scam

testephens at independenceplaceky.org testephens at independenceplaceky.org
Wed Apr 2 14:00:23 UTC 2014

Greetings,

FYI!

Cheers,

Todd

From: Nfbk [mailto:nfbk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Gatton, Tonia
(OFB-LV)
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 7:50 AM
Subject: [Nfbk] Important: Please Read: Jaws Scam

Thanks to Buffa for the heads up.  She received the below info from a
colleague in the Virginia agency.  I sure hope nobody falls for this.  FYI,
I deleted all but the pertinent information since I didn't think they'd want
their contact info floating around the net.

Tonia

Hi everyone,

I just received a phone call from one of the individuals we serve reporting
on a call that concerned him.  The unsolicited call was from a man who said
that the individual’s copy of JAWS has caused a virus in his computer.  The
man would repair the computer if the individual could simply turn it on, go
to a specified site (my caller could not remember where) and type in a few
numbers.  He immediately knew something was not right and did not turn on
his computer nor comply in any way with the person.  The person gave him a
call back number, which was 347-871-5995.

I checked that number and it is all over the Internet as a scam.  The part
that concerns me most is that the individual who called me was identified as
a JAWS user by the scammer.  I don’t know if a Freedom Scientific database
was hacked or what, but I feel it is important for you all to have a heads
up on this in case individuals on your caseload call.  Most may know not to
do anything, but some may be naïve and think there truly is a problem.
Let’s hope no one gets caught.

Just FYI.