[Nfbmd] New Maryland Chapter

uccnfb at comcast.net uccnfb at comcast.net
Fri May 1 19:43:19 UTC 2009

Upper Chesapeake Chapter of the NFB
May 1, 2009
Hello Fellow NFB Members,
My name is Dan Cook president of the newly formed Upper Chesapeake Chapter of the Maryland affiliate of the NFB. Our coverage area is Harford and Cecil Counties along the Northwestern portion of the Chesapeake Bay and bordering both Pennsylvania and Delaware.
I have been the facilitator of the New Horizons Low Vision Support Group of Bel Air, Maryland since its inception six years ago. During that time we have grown to 45 senior members but we haven’t been able to attract any younger members. This is why we have elected to join forces with the NFB organization. Melissa Riccobono spoke in our October meeting and made a lasting impression on the group, so much so, that after researching the organization we decided to become a chapter. The NFB brings us exposure to a world of possibilities which were basically not attainable without the NFB’s assistance and guidance.  Our Goal is to train the 3,000 blind people in this area   to lead normal lives despite their disabilities.
Considering your organizations have been operating longer than we have, you can teach us a lot   about the blind and conversely we can share some of our limited knowledge with you. We print the Upper Chesapeake Informer monthly newsletter to our members and Melissa advises that we should share this with you. We will be doing this soon so watch for this Email and please send your comments and suggestions to me at uccnfb at comcast.net . Don’t forget to add our site to your address book and feel free to communicate as you see fit. Remember that communication is our most important asset. Good Bye for now, I hope to talk to you soon.

Best Regards,
Dan Cook
President, Upper Chesapeake Chapter
National Federation of the Blind