[Nfbmd] News Updates from DORS

Frye, Dan DFrye at nfb.org
Fri May 22 13:33:54 UTC 2009

List Colleagues:

I am sharing with you some recent information released from DORS, our
vocational rehabilitation provider in Maryland. The most significant
information that you should know is that blind Marylanders should no
longer need to be placed on a waiting list for services. Blind people
are part of the most significantly disabled community in category 1, and
as such, we'll be made eligible without delay for VR benefits upon
application for these services. The announcement from DORS follows:

DORS Program Directive 09-18 - Opening of Category 1 - announces that,
effective May 15, 2009, eligible individuals with Most Significant
disabilities will no longer be placed on a waiting list for services.
Great News!

DORS has joined a business network. In theory this should help consumers
find employment faster because of the enhanced relationship that DORS
will have with business entities in the community. DORS has to commit to
a series of standards with respect to the business community upon
entering into this relationship. Attached, is a document that details
these obligations. Below is the announcement from DORS about this
development:

DORS Information Bulletin 09-13 - VR Standards for the National VR
Business Network:  The NET - announces that on May 14, 2009, DORS
formally joined the Council of State Administrators of Vocational
Rehabilitation (CSAVR) National Business Network:  The NET.

Finally, DORS is announcing to those interested that the Maryland
Disability Determination Service (DDS), the entity responsible for
approving SSA benefits upon an individual's application, received
recognition from SSA's commissioner for their excellent work. Here is
the DORS statement:

SSA to Present Two Commissioner Citations for Excellence in Service to
Maryland's DDS
<BLOCKED::http://www.dors.state.md.us/DORS/ProgramServices/Business4/New
s/Citations09.htm>

The Social Security Administration will present George Albright III,
M.D., the Chief Medical Advisor at the Disability Determination Services
(DDS), and the DDS itself with Commissioner Citations for Excellence in
Service. This is the highest award given by SSA. The presentations will
take place on May 19, 2009 at the annual DDS Forum in Detroit, Michigan.

I continue to represent our affiliate on the Maryland State
Rehabilitation Council. During our May 2009 meeting I was elected vice
chairman of this entity. If you have questions, policy issues that you
want promoted, or need advocacy assistance, please be in touch with me.
I will either be of support or help you identify somebody within our
affiliate to counsel and guide your efforts.

With Kind Regards,

***********************

Daniel B. Frye, J.D.
Associate Editor