[Nfbmd] Changes at Blind Industries and Services of Maryland

Amy Phelps aphelps at BISM.org
Fri Dec 10 18:15:41 UTC 2010

Good afternoon dear friends and colleagues,

I wanted to update you personally on some changes that have taken place
in the Rehabilitation Department at Blind Industries and Services of
Maryland. I have accepted the position of Youth Services Manager and
Marco Carranza is now over our fantastic CORE program. I hope that each
of you will join me in wishing Marco all the best in his new position.
There is no doubt in my mind that Marco will take the CORE program to
new heights and the blind of Maryland and surrounding states will reap
the rewards. I for one plan on being on the sidelines cheering him on as
he continues to move the CORE program into a positive direction and
changing what it means to blind.

Shirley Riffle and Ruth Sager will continue to do their awesome work in
our programs for blind senior citizens.

As for me, I am very excited about my new position as Youth Services
Manager and look forward to working with many of you to develop exciting
new programs to serve the blind youth of Maryland and surrounding
states. We have an opportunity to build a program from the ground up and
I look forward to what the future holds and I hope that each of you will
join me in developing a quality program.

I am very excited about our Independence 2011 program for blind teens
entering into the 10th, 11th, and 12th grades. Our Independence 2010
program was a huge success and we had an awesome staff of blind
instructors/mentor (Karen Anderson, William Lindsay, Wilkens Eugene,
Faith Penn, and Jordan Richardson) who gave countless hours to ensure
that quality training and a positive philosophy about blindness were
provided. The youth who graduated from Independence 2010 left with a
positive philosophy about blindness, more confidence in themselves,
blindness skills, and a network of blind mentors and friends who will be
a support system for them. Independence 2011 will begin June 19, 2011
and will be housed on the campus of Towson University. More information
about Independence 2011 will be coming your way very soon.

Thank you for your ongoing support. Great things are happening in the
Rehabilitation Department at Blind Industries and Services of Maryland
and once again, join me in wishing Marco great success in his new
position.

Warm regards,

Amy C. Phelps

Amy C. Phelps, CRC, NOMC

Blind Industries and Services of Maryland

3345 Washington Blvd

Baltimore, MD 21227

Phone: 410-737-2642

Mobile: 410-274-1647

Fax: 410-737-2689

Toll Free: 888-322-4567

E-mail: aphelps at bism.org <mailto:aphelps at bism.org>

"...given proper training and opportunity, the average blind person can
do the average job in the average place of business and do it as well as
his or her sighted neighbor..." Freedom for the Blind, James H. Omvig

Confidentiality Note:  The information contained in this message may be
privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader
responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of
communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the
message and deleting it from your computer.