[Nfbmd] email to my Delegates and Senator regarding HB 287 and SB 491

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 00:22:36 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

In case any of you would like to read it, here is the email I
sent to my legislators about SB 491 and HB 287:

Dear Chairmen Frosh and Hammen, Delegates Krebs, Kach, and Ready,
and Senator Getty:

I am writing to you as both a member of the National Federation
of the Blind of Maryland and as a concerned blind citizen of
Carroll County, Maryland, to ask you to support House Bill (HB)
287 and Senate Bill (SB) 491.  The issue which is the subject of
this bill is an important one to me and to all blind people in
the state of Maryland in our efforts to attain equality and
first-class citizenship in the society of today.

There is a bill currently being debated in the Maryland General
Assembly which would allow members of minority groups, including
people who are blind or have other disabilities, to go to state
court in Maryland in an effort to seek a remedy in cases in which
we are discriminated against on the basis of our minority status
in a place of public accommodation.  Too often, blind people are
discriminated against on the basis of our blindness.  While great
strides have been made to correct this injustice, there are still
many instances in which blind people and people with other
disabilities are discriminated against in places of public
accommodation because of our disability.  The Americans with
Disabilities Act (ADA,) passed in 1990, was written and passed to
protect people with disabilities from discrimination.  However,
we see instances in which people and businesses have violated
that law many times.  Today, most of this discrimination is
caused by a denial of access to the technology which gives people
who live in today's society access to a very wide range of
information.  This denial of access is not done purposefully;
rather, it is caused by the technology in question being
inaccessible (in other words, unusable) by nonvisual means.  An
example of this which has effected me as well as many other blind
people happens in many airports across the country, including
Baltimore Washington Thuroughgood Marshal (BWI) Airport.
Airports today use self-service kiosks to allow flyers to check
in, print their boarding passes, and obtain information about
their flight all with the touch of a finger.  This technology is
operated entirely by a touch screen interface which requires
flyers wishing to interact with it to touch the appropriate
option on the touch screen with their finger.  This technology,
however, is inaccessible to blind people.  Therefore, we are
unable to check in and get our flight information without relying
on the help of a sighted person to read the information to us and
interact with the touch screen.  This technology can be made
accessible, as has been shown by the VoiceOver screen reader
which Apple has built into its touch-screen-operated iOS devices
(iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad.) In other words, it is not that
the technology cannot be made accessible to the blind; it is,
rather, that it is not being made accessible.

Another example of discrimination against the blind in a place of
public accommodation which does not have to do with access (or
lack thereof) to technology happened in 2010.  A group of blind
people were denied admission to an ice skating rink in Maryland
on the basis of their blindness.  The owner of the rink had a
very common misconception about blindness; that is, that blind
people would somehow get injured or would not be safe in an
environment like a skating rink, and therefore discriminated
against the blind.  In another instance, a blind person was
denied admission to a paintball park because the owner had
concerns for his safety.  While concern for the safety of another
person is an honorable and good characteristic, these two
business owners discriminated against the blind because they
denied us access to two forms of entertainment just because of
the characteristic of blindness.  It is the same kind of
discrimination which African-Americans faced in the segregation
era when they were denied access to many parts of society for one
reason and one reason only: because they were African-American.

When a person or group of people experiences discrimination and
cannot solve the problem in another way, they should be able to
take the matter to court if necessary.  That includes state court
in the state of Maryland.  I know, as do members of the National
Federation of the Blind of Maryland, that minority groups,
including people who have a disability, are often discriminated
against in places of public accommodation.  To fix this problem,
we should be able to go to state court to seek a remedy.  This is
why we are advocating for the passage of HB 287 and SB 491.  For
your information, I am attaching the fact sheet which was written
by the National Federation of the Blind of Maryland regarding
this bill.  If you have any questions or need more information,
please contact Sharon Maneki, Chairman of the Legislation and
Advocacy Committee of the National Federation of the Blind of
Maryland, by email at nfbmd at earthlink.net.  Please vote in favor
of HB 287 and SB 491 and help citizens of Maryland who are in a
minority group remedy discrimination and achieve full first-class
citizenship.  Thank you for your attention to this important
issue!

Sincerely,

Chris Nusbaum

I hope this helps some of you when writing your letters!

Chris Nusbaum
Email and Google Talk/Keychat (on the BrailleNote) ID:
dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Skype: christpher.nusbaum3 or search for Chris Nusbaum

nuisance."
-- Kenneth Jernigan