[Nfbmd] {Disarmed} Fw: Website Contact Form Submission From Kenneth Chrane

Kenneth Chrane kenneth.chrane at verizon.net
Sat Jan 5 09:24:50 UTC 2013

 ?letterdate ?
----- Original Message -----
From: Congressman Elijah Cummings
To: kenneth.chrane at verizon.net
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2013 3:51 PM
Subject: Re: Website Contact Form Submission From Kenneth Chrane

      January 3, 2013

      Mr. Kenneth Chrane

      6839 Parsons Avenue

      Gwynn Oak, Maryland 21207

      Dear Mr. Chrane:

      Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding H.R. 8, legislation enacted by the Congress to address the "fiscal cliff."  I appreciate hearing from my constituents regarding the issues of concern to them.

      The legislation brought before the House was the result of a bi-partisan compromise reached through the efforts of Vice President Biden and Senate Minority Leader McConnell.  As the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Congressman John Boehner, essentially removed the House from the discussions that developed the compromise, House Members had little formal input into the development of H.R. 8.  Instead, we were asked to vote on the evening of January 1, 2013 - after the country had already fallen off the so-called "cliff" - on the measure that had already been negotiated and that had already passed the U.S. Senate.

      While I certainly do not support all of the provisions of the measure brought before the House, I recognize that this measure was the product of compromises made by both sides of the aisle, and I believe that, given the circumstances we faced, the enactment of H.R. 8 was necessary to ensure the continued recovery of our nation's economy.  In particular, by raising tax rates on millionaires and billionaires to the levels in place when President Clinton was in office while ensuring that rates on middle-class Americans will not rise, H.R. 8 enshrines the principle that budget reductions must be achieved through a balanced approach that requires the wealthiest among us to pay a fair share.

      H.R. 8 also extends tax breaks critical to working families, including tax credits for college tuition as well as the Earned Income Tax Credit and the Child Dependent Care Tax Credit.  Further, it extends unemployment benefits for the long-term unemployed and it included the so-called "Doc Fix" to prevent steep cuts in reimbursements to physicians who treat Medicare patients.

      Critically, H.R. 8 does not reduce Social Security benefits, and does not alter the formula utilized to calculate cost-of-living adjustments for Social Security recipients.

      The enactment of H.R. 8 is just one step in our ongoing effort to strengthen our economy. Our debt levels are clearly unsustainable and I believe additional cuts must be made - but they must be made with the precision of a surgeon to ensure that they do not undermine our continued growth.  H.R. 8 delays the steep across-the-board spending cuts known as "sequestration" for only two months.  Such thoughtless cuts as would be required under sequestration have the potential to do irrevocable harm to our nation and indeed to the state of Maryland and, as we turn now to address these pending cuts, please know that I will fight to ensure that we continue to take a balanced approach that includes appropriate revenue measures as well as careful cuts that will not harm our nation's progress.  I will also continue to oppose any reductions to Social Security as this is an inviolable commitment we have made to our citizens.

      Thank you again for your correspondence and please do not hesitate to contact me whenever I may be of assistance.

      Sincerely,

      Elijah E. Cummings
      Member of Congress