[Nfbmd] FW: goalball clinic on June 13

Michelle Clark mcikeyc at aol.com
Wed Jun 3 06:56:51 UTC 2015

Perhaps there is some interest?

From: Karla [mailto:kgilbride22 at hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 10:09 AM
To: 'Michelle Clark'
Subject: goalball clinic on June 13

Hi Michelle,

This is Karla Gilbride, who you met at the Light the Way 5k in the fall. You
gave me your e-mail address then to get more information about our efforts
to bring goalball to the DC area. I'm not sure if you've seen it on other
NFB listservs, but we do have a clinic coming up in a couple weeks
(Saturday, June 13) and hope that you and/or some of your members can
attend. Can you please circulate the message below to anyone who might be
interested? I'm also happy to come speak about this at a chapter meeting if
that makes sense.

Feel free to call me at 202-631-2426 if you have any questions.

Hope to see you and/or some of your members at the event!

Here's the blurb:

Are you looking for a way to stay active? Are you looking for a new
competitive sport to try? Goalball might be the sport for you!

Goalball is the only team sport designed specifically for the blind.

Originally designed as a recreational sport for blinded veterans, Goalball
is now played from coast to coast by men and women in the United States; Not
to mention, all over the world at the Paralympic level.

Check out this video to learn a little more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFZYVPxU6Rs

Please consider joining us at our first Goalball clinic being held at
Trinity University on June 13, from 9:00am-1:00pm. There will be a $5
registration fee if you want to stay for a pizza lunch from noon-1 PM (fee
can be paid at the door).

the clinic is designed for both people who have never played goalball before
and those with some experience. We will be starting at 9 AM on Saturday with
throwing, blocking, passing and court orientation stations, then will
discuss game play and strategies with the whole group, and then get on the
court for some scrimmages. We will be providing eyeshades as well as knee
and elbow pads for all participants.

The on-court portion of the program will end at noon and we will have a
pizza lunch from noon to 1 PM to discuss people's experiences with the
clinic, seek feedback for what people want out of future practices, and give
participants a chance to get to know each other. There will be a $5 charge
for anyone who wants to stay for lunch, to cover the cost of food and
drinks.

Below is the address and some basic directions for how to get to the
building at Trinity University where the clinic will take place:

Address:

125 Michigan Ave, NE, Washington, D.C. 20017

Directions:

Driving on Michigan Ave., there will be a Trinity Square sign. Across from
the sign is  the entrance you want. Tell the guard that you are going to the
Trinity Center. It is a big Building that is centrally located on that part
of campus. The building is also accessible via Metro at the Brookland
station.

If you have questions or need help on the day of the event, feel free to
call my (Karla's) cell phone at 202-631-2426.

We also have a Facebook group called DC Goalball and an e-mail list on
GoogleGroups, if you would be interested in joining either or both of those.
Please find us on Facebook or contact me via e-mail at
kgilbride22 at hotmail.com <mailto:kgilbride22 at hotmail.com>  to sign up.

Karla Gilbride

Kgilbride22 at hotmail.com <mailto:Kgilbride22 at hotmail.com>

(202) 631-242