[Nfbmd] Question About Braille on elevators

Michelle Clark mcikeyc at aol.com
Fri Mar 13 17:41:15 UTC 2015

Hello,

Can someone answer this question or point me in the right direction? There
is a  small elevator next to my office door that did not have Braille on the
outer portions so once it stopped, one had no clue of the floor in which it
stopped. My building management worked with me to add the Braille.

However, yesterday I  checked it and it seems to be incorrect.

1.       The Braille on the first floor indicates "Main" but the numbers
read "1". The main floor is not always the first floor. Should it say "1" as
written on the placard along with Main?

2.       In the basement, the Braille has a  ".B", I  imagine to represent
Basement, but that is not what it means in Braille.

3.       This is a  Federal Building.

They tell me they use a  prison Braille Program to do the Braill for them.
However, I  am thinking the information that is wrong came from the person
who sent it to the prison. Can I  get some ideas on how to handle this and
some thoughts on the correct manner in which it should be represented in
Braille?

Thanks,

Michelle