[Nfbmd] Question About Braille on elevators

Powers, Terry (NIH/NCI) [E] Terry.Powers at nih.gov
Mon Mar 16 14:24:58 UTC 2015

Federal buildings usually use B for below ground or T for taris level.  If there are more than one level below ground, you will find B1, B2, and B3, like in bldg.. 31 at NIH.  Most use main or lobby for the first floor.  Along with the braille signs, there should have been raised line numbers, on the outer frame of the elevator.  Now some of the newer buildings, such as Shady Grove, where I am, use speech to announce the levels.  They should have also put the tactual signs, outside the frames of the elevators, but they did not.  This is not efficient for the deaf or if people are talking and you did not hear your floor, announced.  I have had to ask, is this the third floor, because I had been talking to someone and did not pay attention to my floor, being announced.

Terry Powers