[NFBMD] Fwd: Exciting news and a chance to pursue your dreams

Maurice Peret mauriceperet at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 13:08:36 UTC 2017

** Be My Eyes
Bringing Sight to the Blind and Visually Impaired

** Win $25,000 for an adventure
An Award for Blind Ambition
Be My Eyes is all about exploring the world around you, and we’re
excited to share news of a funding opportunity for blind people to do
just that. In January we shared news of The Holman Prize for Blind
Ambition, a new set of annual awards from LightHouse for the Blind in
San Francisco, California. The prize will offer three blind people up
to $25,000 to complete the project or adventure of their dreams, and
is now accepting applications. Whether it's an aspiration to paint the
Seven Modern Wonders of the World
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNmlHZ5Yy2g&list=PLBgTkRMP5uaz784GjDzUKRvog4TSpAwPA&index=8&t=18s&ct=t(Be_My_Eyes_Newsletter_February_20172_17_2017))
, a plan to paddle a kayak from Europe to Asia
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwVMjV3_JOg&list=PLBgTkRMP5uaz784GjDzUKRvog4TSpAwPA&index=7&ct=t(Be_My_Eyes_Newsletter_February_20172_17_2017))
 or a long-term goal of starting a career in music therapy
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfDT-WFZCKU&list=PLBgTkRMP5uaz784GjDzUKRvog4TSpAwPA&index=15&ct=t(Be_My_Eyes_Newsletter_February_20172_17_2017))
, these projects all reflect a sense of ambition and creativity in the
global
blindness community that we want to celebrate. For more information on
how to apply for the Holman Prize, and to watch all of the applicants'
pitch videos, please visit www.holmanprize.org
(http://www.holmanprize.org/?ct=t(Be_My_Eyes_Newsletter_February_20172_17_2017))
. Applications for 2017 are open until February 28!

** Get ready for an even better Be My Eyes experience

We are very excited to announce that we will soon be launching a new
and improved version of Be My Eyes. The new version will have the same
calling technology you're used to, but with several new features,
improved functionalities and a better overall user experience. We
sincerely appreciate your feedback as we make the final touches, as it
is invaluable to Be My Eyes' continued improvement and ability to meet
your needs.

With this in mind, please be sure to update your app to its latest
version in order to have the best possible experience with Be My Eyes.

** The Android version of Be My Eyes is just around the corner
The launch of the Android version of Be My Eyes is just around the
corner. You can sign up to be notified when it is ready by clicking
here (http://www.bemyeyes.org/android/?ct=t(Be_My_Eyes_Newsletter_February_20172_17_2017))

If you know anyone who might be interested in the Android version,
feel free to let them know by clicking one of the share buttons below:
http://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bemyeyes.org%2Fandroid%2F&ct=t(Be_My_Eyes_Newsletter_February_20172_17_2017)
Share on Facebook
http://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=Sign%20up%20here%20and%20you%20will%20be%20notified%20when%20the%20Android%20version%20of%20Be%20My%20Eyes%20is%20ready%20:&ct=t(Be_My_Eyes_Newsletter_February_20172_17_2017)
http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bemyeyes.org%2Fandroid%2F Share on Twitter
(http://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=Sign%20up%20here%20and%20you%20will%20be%20notified%20when%20the%20Android%20version%20of%20Be%20My%20Eyes%20is%20ready%20:&ct=t(Be_My_Eyes_Newsletter_February_20172_17_2017)
http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bemyeyes.org%2Fandroid%2F)
http://www.linkedin.com/shareArticle?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bemyeyes.org%2Fandroid%2F&mini=true&title=Sign%20up%20here%20and%20you%20will%20be%20notified%20when%20the%20Android%20version%20of%20Be%20My%20Eyes%20is%20ready%20&ct=t(Be_My_Eyes_Newsletter_February_20172_17_2017)
Linkedin (http://www.linkedin.com/shareArticle?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bemyeyes.org%2Fandroid%2F&mini=true&title=Sign%20up%20here%20and%20you%20will%20be%20notified%20when%20the%20Android%20version%20of%20Be%20My%20Eyes%20is%20ready%20&ct=t(Be_My_Eyes_Newsletter_February_20172_17_2017))

** Don't hesitate to ask for help
Since Be My Eyes launched in January 2015, sighted volunteers have
helped our blind and visually impaired users hundreds of thousands of
times. The volunteers help with everything from distinguishing between
products and reading aloud, to navigation, technical support, and much
more. To date, Be My Eyes consists of more than 32.000 blind and
visually impaired who are being helped by more than 455,000 sighted
volunteers. Our community spans 150 countries, and we provide support
in 90 languages.
Due to the extremely high volume of volunteers, we want to stress that
you can, and should, feel free to request help as much as you want
without ever disturbing anyone. In fact, we have many eager volunteers
who are still waiting to receive their first help request!

In case you missed it in our last newsletter, feel free to listen to
some Be My Eyes testimonials in the audio clip below:

https://vimeo.com/198938647?ct=t(Be_My_Eyes_Newsletter_February_20172_17_2017)

**

** Connect us with your local organizations

Collaboration is critical to our mission of developing the best
possible solutions fo the blind and visually impaired across the
world. If you are involved in any local blind organizations, networks,
or groups with like-minded goals, we would love to hear about them and
connect. Feel free to contact us at info at bemyeyes.org

**

** Donate to Be My Eyes

As a free service connecting people worldwide, donations enable us to
continue developing and improving Be My Eyes, and are deeply
appreciated. If you want to help us reach and develop digital
solutions for the 285 million people estimated to be blind and
visually impaired worldwide, you can donate to Be My Eyes via PayPal
or Credit Card.
(https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=3HYUKGF3KTHH8&ct=t(Be_My_Eyes_Newsletter_February_20172_17_2017))
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=PCW99TZX4Y5HW&ct=t(Be_My_Eyes_Newsletter_February_20172_17_2017)

Copyright © *2017* *Be My Eyes*, All rights reserved.
Our mailing address is: info at bemyeyes.org